Microvolt meter for adjusting bias, etc?

filmis

Hey, all, I've been trying to find a multimeter that has a range of sensitivity on the order of millivolts so I can use it to adjust bias offset, etc. in amps. Any suggestions for one that's decent quality but not terribly expensive? Amazon seems to have a great selection but I can't seem to find one that definitively says it can measure in the range of several millivolts.

Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops, I made a typo in the post title - I meant millivolt, not microvolt.

Hey, all, I've been trying to find a multimeter that has a range of sensitivity on the order of millivolts so I can use it to adjust bias offset, etc. in amps. Any suggestions for one that's decent quality but not terribly expensive? Amazon seems to have a great selection but I can't seem to find one that definitively says it can measure in the range of several millivolts.

Thanks!
Most anything can read milli.

Okay, thanks. I would see things like 200mV-1000V so I wasn't sure if it meant above 200mV or within that range of magnitude.
At that setting it will test voltages in the range of .2 volts to 1000 volts.

Maybe you should consider an auto-ranging DMM, one that can read down to 0.001millivolts.

Another thing to think about is the trimmers that are used to adjust the Bias or CD Offset. If the installed trimmers are something like single turn 100Ω pots it is very difficult to control fine adjustments. I always replace the ancient trimmers with a Bourne style multi-turn trimmer, giving you the ability to easily make these small adjustments.

I have several Tenmas.
From over a hundred to under 20 dollars. The inexpensive ones seem to track within 1% of the more expensive. Should be fine for bias

Just FYI: A 3.5 digit DMM on the 200mV range resolves 0.1mV. "3.5 digits" is shorthand for three significant digits, which normally resolve one part per thousand, but with an increased maximum reading of 2000 (actually 1999), which doubles displayed resolution. Understand that resolution is NOT the same thing as accuracy, but even cheap meters have pretty good zero voltage stability, which hopefully insures reasonable accuracy in the low millivolt region. I would be inclined to verify this if I was compelled to use a low-end DMM for millivolt measurements.

Last edited:
Just FYI: A 3.5 digit DMM on the 200mV range resolves 0.1mV. "3.5 digits" is shorthand for three significant digits, which normally resolves one part per thousand, but with an increased maximum reading of 2000 (actually 1999), which doubles displayed resolution. Understand that resolution is NOT the same thing as accuracy, but even cheap meters have pretty good zero voltage stability, which hopefully insures reasonable accuracy in the low millivolt region. I would be inclined to verify this if I was compelled to use a low-end DMM for millivolt measurements.
I lucked out. The one I got resolves to 0.01mV which I suspect will do me just fine. It also measures capacitance, and I got myself some minigrippers so I think I'll be just about ready to roll!

I do like my autoranging meter, first one I grab, always unless I need to watch a needle.

Back
Top Bottom