Mid fi, I hope

Very good system there!!
I second the note of caution on the subwoofer. While I agree a good sub can fill that missing lower end that bookshelf speakers usually lack using it in a apartment setting can be problematic. Bass notes can't really be controlled by the volume control so even at low level listening it is likely that anyone living below you would hear your sub. If you are on the ground floor though you would probably be ok.

Simple, don't use a down firing sub. Get a Bose, Pioneer or other standup version side port version. Still a small footprint and most of them only have a 4" driver. Not enough oomph to create neighbor problem but enough added bass to compliment your bookshelf speakers. They also are dirt cheap, I see them for $5 at our fleamarket

yeah this midfi stuff is killing me---I was looking at the cutting edge forum where systems in the 10 and 20 thousand dollar range are being referred to as midfi. What has changed since our youth?
Anything then above a Lloyds and some of those other off all branded all in one systems was hi-fi. I probably have 10K invested and sure I lust after the 24K revel speaker pair---but even if I went and got it
would not fit my listening room. Anyway a turntable upgrade may be in the near-mid future. Nice system.
I wouldn't say a TT upgrade is needed. I'd say getting marcmorin to help him tweak what he has at some point might be, though.:thumbsup:

I've never been to NY, but I can't imagine apartment living there brings with it a lot of free space.
Looking towards getting the digital end of things set up with some sort of server is what I'd be thinking of.
And a jazz fan in NY? I'd wear out the library's front steps going through that collection.:rflmao:

Back
Top Bottom