Midbass Driver Replacement - Quantum Series

Here's a few photos. Notice the extra black screws outside the mids....these are covering the mounting holes for the original mids. I'm ordering thin black plastic and cutting gaskets the exact size as the old mids to place behind the new mids to permit the removal of the screws which don't actually look that bad and was a better idea than trying to fill the holes. The new midbass driver covered the old midbass screw holes.

Both the new mids and midbass made a drastic improvement to these speakers. The new 12" subwoofer also helped quite a bit.

These are the original woofers with fabric surrounds that replaced the rotted foam surrounds. Someone did these for me back in the early 90's and said I'd be better off replacing the surrounds with fabric as they won't deteriorate like the old foam did. He might have been right as they're still good and I've noticed no difference. The woofers are sitting higher due to a gasket I placed behind them to stop the air leaks I was getting.

I know the speakers are meant to be placed with the tweeters on the inside. This is how I prefer them however.

cabinet-grill.png front-2.png full-front-drivers.png mids-midbass.png

There's a lot to be said about having original parts, but I'd love to hear my QLS-1s with some well matched contemporary drivers.

:thumbsup:They look really nice. The prices aren't too bad for those replacement drivers and it's great you did have to mod the cabinets.

There's a lot to be said about having original parts, but I'd love to hear my QLS-1s with some well matched contemporary drivers.

For the $200 or so these drivers cost, I highly recommend swapping the old out for these. Big change. Nothing really needs to be damaged or modified, plus the old drivers can still be kept. In fact, I used the boxes from the new to pack away the old ones.

:thumbsup:They look really nice. The prices aren't too bad for those replacement drivers and it's great you did have to mod the cabinets.

Yes, I didn't need to cut anything or drill holes that would be seen if the original drivers were once again installed. Although I can't see that happening unless I sell them.

I don't mean to be annoying or take the thread off track, but those woofers with fabric surrounds won't have nearly as much bass extension as with foam I'm thinking. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's a huge difference between foam/fabric and there's a reason pro audio woofers use fabric, just like you can't go around putting rubber on foam drivers without hurting the driver's performance.

I don't mean to be annoying or take the thread off track, but those woofers with fabric surrounds won't have nearly as much bass extension as with foam I'm thinking. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's a huge difference between foam/fabric and there's a reason pro audio woofers use fabric, just like you can't go around putting rubber on foam drivers without hurting the driver's performance.

Its been a long time since these were repaired, but I do remember after getting the surrounds done which was around 1993 not noticing any difference. I imagine its possible, if played especially hard and loud with bass heavy music there might be a difference, although I rarely, if ever do. Plus, these speakers were always a little bass weak if played softly, which is the reason I added the subwoofer. That sub really adds new depth and presence, especially when listening at moderate, normal levels.

I remember not too long ago new replacement woofers were available at $375 for the pair from the Watkins guy's site. If I could buy brand new woofers at $375 a pair now, I would probably get them as I'm sure they'd improve upon 40 year-old drivers.

Last time I checked however, they're $750 which is crazy expensive as these are just basic woofers with dual vc's. Dual voice coil woofers, although each vc of the same impedance can be found at $100 each or less, so $750 is just nuts.

But in the end, these are 40 years old and I'm just trying to get some additional life and enjoyment from them. I guess I have some sort of attachment to these as I'm the original owner who saved and saved to buy them in 1978 as a teenager. They held up better than the 1979 Trans Am I bought new the same year. That car started falling apart almost immediately.

IMG_0193.JPG I had two pair of Watkins woofers rebuilt by Millersound. New modern paper cone, (their recommendation) new spider and surround, and essembled by an OCD speaker genius. They are better then new...

IMG_0195.JPG

I had two pair of Watkins woofers rebuilt by Millersound. New modern paper cone, (their recommendation) new spider and surround, and essembled by an OCD speaker genius. They are better then new...

Good to know. What do they charge for this?

It was $280.00 for both ($140each). No shipping as I am local. I was told essembly is very important. He makes sure the magnet and coil are not only centered but exactly on the same plain. He shimmed one of my magnets because of this. Did not have to do this and did not charge extra. It was included in his price he quoted earlier. Could have easily skipped that in essembly but took the time to remove the magnet and fuss with it. I would have never known and would have been charged the same price.

Last edited:
It was $280.00 for both ($140each). No shipping as I am local.

Thanks. Appreciate the info. With shipping both ways it'll probably add about $60 but still worth it.

After adding the Klipsch sub however, the bass now is fantastic. Never thought a sub would make the big vintage system sound that much better.

slimpikkins, "local" humble brag :p.

Nice work MoreBeer, I'm glad your enjoying them again ! They sure look very nice :beerchug:.

Back
Top Bottom