MidCenturyModern For Sale thread

wish i had found this earlier... i would have loved that wall/stereo piece..... im local and its sold..... along with everything else..... next time! ec

Do you know what it sold for? How was the "cabinet" attached to the wall?

Pretty much all spectacularly overpriced. I think this estate sale company is making the mistake of using 1stdibs prices for comparison, not understanding most dealers on there are asking 3x retail and many things sit for a long time before selling at a discount to an interior designer. The dining room chairs (which were beautiful) were $5,500 the set. The table (also very nice) was $1,800. The credenza in there was similarly in the thousands. The other credenza with the Pilot tube receiver, not-very-good Garrard turntable and unknown speakers was $3,800. The red Panton chair was just north of $1,000. The Eames lounge chair, which was nice except for a bit more wear on the ottoman than I'd like, was $2,500. My friend probably got the best deal there by buying the lenticular op art piece in pic #43 for $75 which turned out to by Yaacov Agam, and has sold before at auction a few times for $300+.

This one across town was also interesting:

https://www.estatesales.net/NJ/Teaneck/07666/1253175

The Eames screen was asking $1,200 and sold to a dealer for somewhere close to that -- not exactly sure, but definitely $1,000+. The 3-part George Nelson set with the vanity was marked at $1,200 and also sold (not sure if discounted). And the 2 Nelson dressers to the right of it were sold, but I'm unsure how much.

Of possible interest to people here, there was a set of AR 2a speakers there, but not in the pictures, for $125 the pair. I didn't examine them too closely, but they seemed nice. They were the usual walnut finish, not one of the more rare and desirable finishes. I though they were a good price for someone keeping them, not necessarily if flipping. No clue if they lasted the day, but no one was interested the first half-hour I was there.

I wonder how that Trio tube receiver sounds and I wonder how many people will be tripping over themselves to get that "She Loves You" picture sleeve.

I'm going to a govt mule show in the general area on Friday.. If we get into town early enough that would be a good sale to check out. There is so much there, plenty of good stuff should be around at the end of day one.

I wonder how that Trio tube receiver sounds and I wonder how many people will be tripping over themselves to get that "She Loves You" picture sleeve.
I picked up one of those sleeves with the 45 inside (Swan label, I believe). Shelley Davis put her address label on the disc and the sleeve decades ago.

Out and about today, saw a dining table with 4 chairs. Nice quality, signed B P John. Table was about 48" across. Chair cushions were fabric and ratty. No price on it, but probably less than $100. Should I run back? Live in the North East, and I gather that this furniture is more popular on the west coast.

All it takes is money, or luck...and perseverance.

And......being in the location where the estate sale is. You can have all the money, luck and perseverance there is but if you ain't there you ain't there. Most these listings are for estate sales that require you be there to buy.

And 95% of the auctions posted allow absentee bidding, phone bidding, and internet only bidding. There are a thousand ways to get what you want, if you are willing to work at it. Last time I checked, there are over 40 auction sites on the internet that allow searches via search engines.

The very platform you use to complain is the best tool to source, bid, buy, and ship MCM in the world. If you can't be bothered to work at it, then subscribe to magazines like Dwell, Atomic Ranch, et al and let the stores do all your work. http://www.atomic-ranch.com/

Millions of ways to skin the cat these days. This thread is about celebrating what is out there, and to have some fun seeing great stuff from the past.

What's your opinion on Dwell magazine? I just checked out Atomic Ranch...not paying $20 for 4 issues.

Had a subscription to Atomic Ranch for a year. Ok, since it was a gift, but nothing I hadn't seen elsewhere. It is nicely put together and worth the $5 per issue.

Back
Top Bottom