Middle Eastern Music

Dirk Willims

sounds wierd, but I really enjoy middle eastern music, fantastic artists. My problem is I've no idea where to source that music" think Black Hawk Down" kinda music.

Anybody here can point me in the right direction.

Than you in advance.

Dirk Williams

Ofra Haza, Radio Tarifa. The North African music of Baba Maal often has a "desert music" quality.

You might want to look into some Rough Guide compilations to pinpoint more of the styles and artists that you like.

GJ

5 times a day - 7 days a week. 4 months per tour. 3 tours -- OSW Dhahran SA.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Be sure and check out "Pavlo"...he's a Greek great guitarist of world fame who tours from Austria to Australia.

Took in a concert last Fall, and it was super! He tends to forget the audience and gets caught up in a night of Greek music, playing so passionately. Even got a CD of one of his performances in an outdoor Greek theatre near the Acropolis.

Another is Jesse Cook (guitarist) , who has a neat CD out with some tunes with Eastern flavour. I think "Downfall" is name of this CD. ?

Q

Gentleman, thank you so much for your responses. I happened onto this, having forgot I'd posted it. Since I was a kid I've loved this middle eastern style of music. I've traveled the world in the navy in the 70/80s, and continued to explore this old music, even after I exited the USN.

Something about it simply calls me towards it.

I'm not one to get caught up in the politics of the countries these wonderful sounds come from. I'm caught up on the sound, the disipline of the musicians. The blends, and to a point the history of the music.

It is said that MUSIC, is the international language. I concur.

Thank you all.

Dirk

We did a whole suite of songs inspired or from the 1001 nights tale when I was in a chamber choir in college. I can't remember what it was called. I can't say it's my favorite to listen to but it was sure damn fun to perform!

Nate, that sounds like a lot of fun. I can't carry a tune, so never ventured into something like that. Regrettably I missed a great oppertunity

Dirk

Last edited:
I'm by no means an expert in middle eastern music but Kayhan Kalhors I Will Not Stand Alone is one of the most stunningly beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard.

Gets me every time...

I would go to a bodega in a middle eastern Neighborhood. If they don't have them on the counter at the register, ask where to buy.

Don't know where you are, but shouldn't be too difficult.

If you go to the Tune In app and type in “Middle Eastern Music” I’m sure you will find a few stations worth listening to.

Back
Top Bottom