Might be wrong place, Question for International buyers/sellers.

Jim Eck

Chicks dig the Mule
I am working on a purchase of a tone arm from a gentleman in Melbourne, I am in the USA. He is not currently a Paypal member and we are not making the transaction via Ebay. I have asked if he is willing to join Paypal, so I can complete the transaction via paypal, haven't heard back yet, this seems the easiest way to me as the buyer. Bidpay is for Auctions only it seems otherwise I would use a money order, is there another reputable online money order? Worst case I will mail a cashiers check to him.

My question is, is there another method that I can use that won't cost the seller any additional expenses? I am thinking about coverting currency upon receipt and such.

I haven't much experience in International buying. Any information you might be able to provide is appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
Jim

You could always do it the old fashioned way which is to purchase a Postal Money order and air mail it to him. Shouldn't take more then a week or so to get there and its not really that expensive.

The only other way that I know of might be to Western Union the money to them via Wire transfer which I tend to shy away from.

Grumpy

Jim:

If you go USPS Money Order (which is what I would do), make sure you get an International (pink) one, not the usually Domestic (green) one.

Hey Jim,

I've had some experience in auction purchases from Britain, Germany and Canada, None in Australia though. However, I can tell you that the USPS International Money Order won't be accepted in Australia currently. See this URL:

http://www.usps.com/money/sendingmoney/sendmoneyinternationally.htm

Paypal may be the easiest way to go since the payment is agreed upon and translated into his currency. this is especially nice since he is willing to accept it and you do have some protection on purchases I believe.

Other options:

You can send a Moneygram (c) but there are costs involved in the transfer - fee + markup on exchange rate. Similarly, Bidpay and Western Union are like that too.

I have found that many sellers will be willing to take US Dollars cash + extra for currency exchange at their local bank. The typical costs of currency exchange is on the order of 5-7%. Currently 1 USD = 1.29 AuD. If they will check with their bank, they can tell you the specific cost and then name a total for you if they will accept it.

Then you can send the money wrapped in a couple of pages of correspondence, in an envelope with both sender and receiver addresses, then inside a Global Priority mailer which would only cost $5 postage. (mailers available at your local Post office.

NOTE: USPS will not insure the letter nor be responsible for cash or cash equivalents sent this way. YOU are at the entire risk if money is sent through the mail. You will have no recourse with USPS in this regard. They state that cash is a prohibited item.

Having said this, I have had good luck with sending payments this way but the risks should be understood. Usually, Global priority takes about 7 working days to get to the destination country.

Good luck with your transaction. What type of tonearm is it anyway?

Regards,

Bart

Jim,
A cashiers check from your bank in Aussie $ is easy to get and delivery to Melbourne around 6-7 days with Air-Mail from US.

Good Luck !:)

Back
Top Bottom