1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Miles Davis reel?

Discussion in 'Tape' started by janikphoto, Nov 30, 2018.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto Lunatic Member

I spotted this tonight... it’s not a question about price/value/buying/selling, so I’d prefer if this doesn’t get moved to the bartertown section.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264059876029

It’s labeled as a Miles Davis rehearsal from the 1960s, but most of his other reels appear to be radio station master copies from the early 1980s. What do you think the likelihood of this reel being something unique? Or, is he off base on this, and it’s really just some bad copy of a common album?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. phantomrebel

phantomrebel Serial Tapist Subscriber

Looks like you will have to outbid someone with username g***s to get anything. The seller's stuff is most likely high quality given the feedback, but you are correct, this one might be unique as it states it is studio rehearsals. Worth taking a chance on if it is, and if not, it can be returned as "not as described".

janikphoto likes this.
  3. dbxdx5

dbxdx5 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I love historical stuff like this (assuming it's legit). I once had a circa 1980's cassette soundboard recording that Miles handed to a friend of mine. He was dating/screwing around with her girlfriend (and characteristically treating her like crap). One time after a show he stopped by to see the woman, and my friend was there. She pretended not to have ever heard of him or know if he was any good, so he reached into his pocket and gave her the tape. Years later she gave it to me in order to make a digital copy for her own use. Of course, I kept a copy for myself.

jnicholson14 and janikphoto like this.
  4. janikphoto

janikphoto Lunatic Member

I like that it says “take can be erased if you wish”.erase Miles Davis Studio rehearsals?!?!?

5. Mingo

Mingo stranger in a strange land Subscriber

I asked the seller a couple of questions. He didn't say whether the tape was an original recording or a copy, but did say:

Number of takes... That i cant 100% remember... I believe, if i remember correctly, 4 or 5 different take, plus a few false starts. reel runs somewhere around 31 minutes.

It's tempting.

6. Skylab

Skylab Altimeter reading zero Subscriber

That seller has very, very good quality tapes. I’ve bought several from him - which were awesome.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Phil Tate

Phil Tate New Member

My first reaction to this thread title was yes, of course he is!