Millersound Infinity Kappa Polydome Repair

MiamiBoy

Lost one of my polydomes on my Kappa 8 recently. Within a matter of weeks it just started to crack and fall apart. The other polydome in the other speaker still looks and sounds fine so I sent the bad one off to Millersound for repair. I am VERY HAPPY with the results. Looks good but more importantly it sounds great. In doing A/B tests of just the top end of the speaker (no woofers) I can't tell any difference playing a number of different genres of music. This is a relief to me because I also own a set of Kappa 9's and have always been worried as to what I would do if/when the polydomes go. Well, that is no longer a worry now that I know there is a good remedy for a polydome repair.

1-P1050226.JPG

Last edited:
Great family business. They rebuilt my woofers in my QLS1. Been to the shop several times. Bill loves speakers and loves talking about them. He has pretty much seen, heard and work on them all (not just Infinity). Glad you are pleased with the results. With them you get what you pay for and generally will exceed expectations.
Jim

And Millersound have been doing it for a long long time. For them to continue to be in business that long in this industry is testament to what a great job they do. And like you said, Bill is downright fantastic to talk to.

MillerSound is the best. These are not just new dust caps on the Polydomes. He removes all the old poly material and uses the existing voice coil and places the new material back on. Sound is much better then the original. The material is proprietary. If these Polydomes are yellow or even turning I can guarantee you they are cracked right at the voice coil. Just take a magnifying glass and look and you will see the hairline cracks. So all those Kappa's that people are selling with yellowed polydomes are shot. Even if they are still clear or somewhat clear I bet they are cracked on the edges where the voice coil meets the poly. It's just due to age not UV, not anything just the ravages of time. Just like foam surrounds on all those woofers. Been into Infinity's since the 80's. Just thought I needed to clear things up.

It's just due to age not UV, not anything just the ravages of time.

That is correct. I had a very pristine, clear Kappa polydome stored in a closet, with a protective cup over the dome, and it still discolored and cracked. No UV involved. So, I agree that the material used ages poorly.

MillerSound is the best. These are not just new dust caps on the Polydomes. He removes all the old poly material and uses the existing voice coil and places the new material back on. Sound is much better then the original. The material is proprietary. If these Polydomes are yellow or even turning I can guarantee you they are cracked right at the voice coil. Just take a magnifying glass and look and you will see the hairline cracks. So all those Kappa's that people are selling with yellowed polydomes are shot. Even if they are still clear or somewhat clear I bet they are cracked on the edges where the voice coil meets the poly. It's just due to age not UV, not anything just the ravages of time. Just like foam surrounds on all those woofers. Been into Infinity's since the 80's. Just thought I needed to clear things up.

From my experiences with them, it's the adhesive that has little cracks, not the membranes.

The sound of the "new" ploydomes from Miller Sound.
Much better then the original. Not harsh, not overly bright. Very nice sounding midrange. You can still hear every detail. I can now listen without getting ear fatigue.
The aluminum mesh is removed because it was only placed there to keep kids from pushing in the dome. This altered the sound that Infinity had intended making them Harsh and too bright sounding also not allowing enough movement in the dome itself. The new material now moves freely and no more harshness at all. You can listen at much higher volumes without the ear bleeding distortion DSC00200.JPG DSC00201.JPG DSC00203.JPG that the old domes produced.

Im curious how much different these sound from the polydomes that MM repairs. My K8s have them and my K6s will need to be repaired soon aswell.

Im curious how much different these sound from the polydomes that MM repairs. My K8s have them and my K6s will need to be repaired soon aswell.
Musicman95.
This is from Bill him self from MillerSound.
"The sound is intended to be “naturally mellow”. Even the ORIGINAL (!!!) Supervisor of Quality Control (Walter Murrell, California) is in love with the results. His words:“Another gratified, satisfied customer, here in Southern California”.
I agree, I've had Infinity's since the early 80's. RS IIIB's, RsKappa 7's Kappa 7.1,8.1 5.1's, CS models, etc. I love the sound of Bill's polydomes. Remember, you can always adjust the mid's on your speakers with the pots in the back if you want more or less midrange.

Does anyone know the cost of the repair from MillerSound per pair?
I just got mine back from MillerSound about two weeks ago. It was $198 w/ return shipping included for the pair. I paid for the shipping there. Got them installed in the Kappa 9s I'm restoring last weekend. Pretty happy with them so far, about 10 hours of play time on them so far. I didn't have a chance to hear the Kappa 9s with the original polydomes as they were pretty much gone when I acquired them. My son says of all the speakers he has listened to they have about the smoothest mid-range.

The aluminum mesh is removed because it was only placed there to keep kids from pushing in the dome. This altered the sound that Infinity had intended making them Harsh and too bright sounding also not allowing enough movement in the dome itself. The new material now moves freely and no more harshness at all.

Where in the world did you get that info? They were diffusers (to diffuse the sound). I highly doubt Infinity gave 1 second of thought to what ones kids would do to their speakers.

Where in the world did you get that info? They were diffusers (to diffuse the sound). I highly doubt Infinity gave 1 second of thought to what ones kids would do to their speakers.
How are they diffusers BEHIND the diaphragm???that makes no sense..diffusers are affecting Soundwaves exiting speakers.they were for protection from dents..and no they didn't make the mids more harsh either

Back
Top Bottom