Mini HT for $12 a Speaker

jerrymrc

Spaz!
I have built quite a few speakers both on my own and from sorted out plans. Things do not always go as they should.

I drove the axe between The Stereo and HT last week. Now what for the HT set-up? I had built the UBHT from Dan Carrol But I wanted one of those Sat-sub sets that did not take any space, In fact I wanted something that was almost not there.

Looked around online and purchased a set up for $160. 5 Speakers and a very small sub. It was bad, Very bad. I have a crank up emergency radio that sounds better. Took it back and said How cheap can I do this?

Most items I had laying around.If you build speakers you have LOTS of parts. OK, Here we go.......

Woofer is the Pioneer 4" from PE # 269-570 @ .87 ea. Tweeter is a delco/onkyo soft dome PE # 269-702 Now I need a case. Rat-Shak to the rescue! Project box that is 5"x7"x3" It comes with a plate and we needed it. first issue was how to mount the drivers. The tweeter has a very weird face plate. Cut the holes, Cut the tweeter and glue from behind.

The tweeter has a 4.7Mfd cap on it and in keeping with the budget it stayed. The woofer recieved a .10 coil PE# 260-718
My box program said it was just a little too small but what the heck. Port is pipe I had. Just a little over .5" and 2" long.

The box itself had way too much flex so I used the plate that came with it and made some reinforcement strips. Got to love the old glue-gun. Grill cloth was streched over the face and trimmed after gluing. I used Epoxy for the mounting of the drivers and to glue the box together. all other was glue-gun.

OK, So now I have them built lets see how they sound? I hooked 2 up to the 2235b and sat down. after cranking some bass into them I was very surprised. They are not going to replace my maggies but I was shocked by how they did not do anything bad.
A little forward in the upper mids but that is kind of expected. The tweeter blends very well and overall for $10.50 in parts I have a winner.

They blend very well with a small passive sub I had left over. I have them mounted on brackets on the wall. I am very pleased with the end product for my needs.

those Pioneer 4" work pretty well in an MTM config, too.

I have a pair running on my computer, and the additonal driver balances the tweeter presence for this application. I imagine your speaker would be better suited for HT. Mine are a little too laid back for HT.

I have built the MTM config with the Melloon tweeter. One of the sons is using that setup for his HT. I wanted something (dare I say it?) Like a Bose. :eek: :uzi: :uzi: :puke: The tweeter is a very nice unit once you get past the face-plate. I did remove the phase plug. Not as nice as the Dayton silky but better that most of the polys I have heard.

I bought a case of the Pioneers when they were on the DOTD so I have lots to play with.

As soon as I get the time I should have the Mini monitors done that use the $7.11 JBL woofer. I am very impressed with that driver. Just not done tweeking them.

Originally posted by jerrymrc

I bought a case of the Pioneers when they were on the DOTD so I have lots to play with.

Sounds like you need to make one of the phase arrays or whatever like Fred did ;)

Neat project

Thanks for sharing your project! I printed it out and am thinking about putting some together for my HT this winter.

Any idea what the sweet spot is as far as power? What kind of HT receiver are you using?

regards,
griz780

too many projects, not enough time.

Griz, These do not require alot of power. Im using a yamaha 5.1 amp set to small for all but the mains. the mains run thru a sub that has a 6db 125Hz passive crossover in it. All low freq go thru the mains.

As a note. I did use undercoating in the box for sound after the pic's were taken. Spray on type. The Pioneer drivers are on sale for 49 cents. I used 2 speakers for the center channel under the TV. @8 ohms each the amp does not have a problem with the 4 ohm load. :D

Very cool Jerry! I can't help but notice they look a lot like the last iteration of the RS Minimus 7!

Back
Top Bottom