Minolta SRT-101 Battery

mwr885

Don't Eat The Worm...
Hey fella's I hope you can help me out with this, I took the battery out of camera (Minolta SRT-101) and between the home and the store managed to lose it. :tears: Now for the life of me I can't remember what size of battery this thing takes. If someone could check the one in their old minolta it would really help me out.

Thanks in advance!

My first 35MM camera was the SRT-102. I really like that camera. Now it's more sentimental attachment and novelty than serious use because I caved in and bought a very convenient digital camera. I just had it repaired and the seals replaced (related problem). I can look when I get home and confirm the battery specs for you. The numbers posted sure do sound familiar though. I seem to recall that the PX-13 can be replaced with two 625 batteries but my memory isn't that good after all these years.

Just a brief off topic comment, I bought a Minolta MX700 (?) when I was on a trip to Hong Kong many years ago thinking that I would like it's automation features as compared to the manual SRT-102. I never liked that camera and it has been pretty much sitting around for many years. With the manual lolly-pop and light meter in the viewfinder it is easy to set and predict what your picture will look like. With the MX700 it was a crap shoot (pun intended!). Maybe it was just me but even using the manual mode on the MX700 I was never happy with using that camera. The point is, I think that you have a really nice camera that is well worth preserving, just like a piece of quality vintage audio gear!

I think that I still have the owners manual for the SRT-102 and I may also have a service manual in PDF. I think the only difference between the 101 and the 102 is the lock-up mirror feature (used for transporting the camera in rough conditions) on the 102. Send me a PM with your email address if you would like a copy.

"The SRT uses a 1.35v PX625 mercury batteries."
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?MinoltaSRT101.html~mainFrame
The problem here is that mercury batteries were phased out in 1992. You may be able to use a zinc-air 625 hearing aid battery as a replacement, except the voltage is slightly off. Mercury cells were 1.35V, and zinc-air are 1.5V. That means you'd need to get the meter adjusted for accuracy or adjust the ASA/ISO control to compensate.
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?batteries.html~mainFrame

Tom

Thanks fellas, You all have been a ton of help. One can always count on AK to find te awnser to most anything vintage!

My first 35MM camera was the SRT-102. I really like that camera. Now it's more sentimental attachment and novelty than serious use because I caved in and bought a very convenient digital camera. I just had it repaired and the seals replaced (related problem). I can look when I get home and confirm the battery specs for you. The numbers posted sure do sound familiar though. I seem to recall that the PX-13 can be replaced with two 625 batteries but my memory isn't that good after all these years.

Just a brief off topic comment, I bought a Minolta MX700 (?) when I was on a trip to Hong Kong many years ago thinking that I would like it's automation features as compared to the manual SRT-102. I never liked that camera and it has been pretty much sitting around for many years. With the manual lolly-pop and light meter in the viewfinder it is easy to set and predict what your picture will look like. With the MX700 it was a crap shoot (pun intended!). Maybe it was just me but even using the manual mode on the MX700 I was never happy with using that camera. The point is, I think that you have a really nice camera that is well worth preserving, just like a piece of quality vintage audio gear!

I think that I still have the owners manual for the SRT-102 and I may also have a service manual in PDF. I think the only difference between the 101 and the 102 is the lock-up mirror feature (used for transporting the camera in rough conditions) on the 102. Send me a PM with your email address if you would like a copy.

I think the other difference is your 102 has a hot shoe for a flash, mine does not. In fact the one time I tried mount a flash in the shoe on mine it endend up grounding to the camera body and shocked the crap outta me. lol

The camera I have has a bunch of sentimental value as well, my Grandfather was a combat photographer in the Marine Corps. and on his way to Vietnam in 1968 he stopped here in Okinawa and bought this camera and the several lenses, then used them throughout his tour. He gave it to me when I was a junior in high school.

I since bought a digital camera or two as well, but I keep coming back to the ol' manual minolta. I just think there is a certain magic to tweaking all the parameters of a photograph and seeing the results on film.

Anyways, thanks again all!

The SRT-101 was my very first SLR camera back in 1974 when I took my first photo class in college. I gave it to my sister a long time ago when I upgraded to the XG-7. I now have another 101. Great build quality on this series of cameras. Yours, obviously, has a special value to it. Enjoy it. It's still fun to shoot film especially if you process your own film.

The SRT-101 was my very first SLR camera back in 1974 when I took my first photo class in college. I gave it to my sister a long time ago when I upgraded to the XG-7. I now have another 101. Great build quality on this series of cameras. Yours, obviously, has a special value to it. Enjoy it. It's still fun to shoot film especially if you process your own film.

I love shooting film. Not as convienent as digital I guess, but its a lot of fun. I try to process it whenever Ican but that involves taking over the bathroom for most of the day and listening to m wife complain about "that horrible chemical smell" Although last night she was asking me to teach her about composition and lighting so maybe we have a new convert on our hands...

How good are zinc-air batteries? If I will get me an vintage camera that used for light meter Mercury batteries and I do put 1,4 Volts Zn.- air batteries, can I almost propley adjust the aperture and the shutter speed acording to what the light meter sayes. Well, I may put some batteries (find some Zinc - Air ones that aproximativley fit in there), insert for test a black and white film, take few frames acording to what the light meters sayes, and then set for eg 90 A.S.A. in stad of 100 and take some pictures with the readjusment.

The problem here is that mercury batteries were phased out in 1992. You may be able to use a zinc-air 625 hearing aid battery as a replacement, except the voltage is slightly off. Mercury cells were 1.35V, and zinc-air are 1.5V. That means you'd need to get the meter adjusted for accuracy or adjust the ASA/ISO control to compensate.

Tom

Is it confirmed the meter would be off, or just suggesting it might be because of the voltage difference?

Just a suggestion:

Don't use the meter in that camera. That camera does not need a battery to function. Get yourself a mechanical, hand held meter (like a Sekonic L398) and learn how to use it. You will get much better photographs.

Back
Top Bottom