Minor score for the day

All the tubes were labelled Lowrey and I'm assuming were original. The lettering came off when I cleaned them up but the numbers are etched onto the tube along with the Made in the U.S.A. Is it a good bet these were made by RCA for Lowrey? I'm running a pair of the 12AX7A's in my Norh SE-9 right now and they sound fantastic. This organ had been serviced though because I also removed 10 Sprague black caps which were definitely not original.

Mike

If any 12AX7s are RCA tall 17mm plate, you have great tubes. RCA have a stretched octagon box around the tube number. The short plate RCA 12AX7 are good tubes as well.

Lots of 6X8 & 12FQ8 in most Lowrey organs. hey, where is the audio transformer? Guitar nuts like them.

Those old organs are great finds. I pulled 42 bugle boy 12AU7's from one I drove past at the side of the road last week!

I wondered where the hell the other transformer was too?? :dunno: I swear I never saw one. I removed the entire amplifier board to remove all the parts. Could that transformer be located some place I didn't look? The organ is still sitting out by the dumpster so I could retrieve it if its there.

Mike

Electrahomes are full of 12AX7s, and made in Canada. Conns use lots of 12AU7s, Hammonds mostly just the tubes on the amp.

Shame you gutted the organ. These old tube organs have a beautiful sound that ss units can not match. Sort of like gutting a McIntosh. Maybe we should start an organ group.

Nah don't feel bad Brian this one was cosmetically challenged. One of the legs was missing, lots of scars in the wood , keys had the notes taped on them. All around it wasn't worth the effort to save it. I already have an organ in the house anyway for my daughter to practice on.

Mike

Yeah, so do I. But there isn't a single tube in it, and it still works on vacuum!

Joke:

What's better than four roses on a piano?:dunno:

Tulips on an organ!:D

Aidio xfmr is usually under the chassis. Organs are unwanted in MI, many free just to pick up. Hammond usually have Mullard 12AX7/12AU7 & Holland EL84 tubes- not near as many as other brands. Some larger Hammond models have 6267, 7247, 7591s, etc.

Baldwin Orga-Sonic have either 50 12AU7s & a few 12AX7 or 24 12AX7 and about 30 12AU7. Of course, most had a pair of RCA 6L6GC black plates. Old Baldwins are loaded with 6SN7s.

Allen church organs have about 90 6SN7s. Some audiophiles say the old Allens have OTs that rival McIntosh & the amps are excellent. They use a driver transformer instead of a phase splitter. Most have four 6L6 for about 80 watts.

Back
Top Bottom