Mint Realistic Optimus T-100's for $30 thanks to my wife!

Denten

Addicted Member
My wife was on her Facebook today when she called me over, she said are these speakers any good? Someone local had them on Facebook for $30, So I did a quick search for them here, after reading some conflicting opinions about these speakers I thought, what the hell, they are a 10 min drive from here and the beautiful walnut cabinets are worth $30 bucks even if they sound like s**t. I got them home and hooked them up to my 2385, and I have to say, I'm not disappointed.....for 30 bucks they sound not to bad. Also I bought them of the original owner. :)

100_2822.JPG 100_2815.JPG 100_2816.JPG
Kitty damage. :rolleyes:
100_2817.JPG

The weak link perhaps?
100_2819.JPG

These will be needing some deoxit.
100_2818.JPG

I will be able to judge them better once I get this amp done, the table is in the way.
100_2820.JPG
Bottom line; If I paid $100 for these, I would still be happy. :thumbsup:

I had a set of these back around 1980. Not bad speakers. Replaced them with Polk 5B's which were better.

Very nice. Wish my wife would find gear for me.

I hope you're able to fix the kitty damage. That air leak probably isn't good for the overall performance.

EDIT: I would also plug that RCA port on the back. They came with little black plastic plugs to prevent air leaks, but most get lost over time. Photos below are borrowed.

2012_01_04_17_39_57.jpg

They looked like this, plastic plug in the center:

1319424-pair-of-realistic-optimus-5b-3way-loudspeaker-system.jpg

Last edited:

I hope you're able to fix the kitty damage. That air leak probably isn't good for the overall performance.

EDIT: I would also plug that RCA port on the back. They came with little black plastic plugs to prevent air leaks, but most get lost over time. Photos below are borrowed.

2012_01_04_17_39_57.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I never would have thought to plug the RCA port. :thumbsup: I plan on fixing the kitty damage, will have to see if there is a thread on fixing kitty damaged surrounds, I can feel the air coming out of the holes.
These are my first sealed enclosures, and I am liking what I'm hearing.
I think when you only pay $30 for speakers your expectations are not high so when you hear it for the first time you are not disappointed, even if they turned out to be total junk, (they are not) it was only $30. :cool:

• No pushed in tweeter dustcaps ? This can't be.:eek:
  • They bring me back to the Radio Shack catalog that I was so much lustering about when I was 13.
  • Patch up those holes in the surrounds of the woofer - these are sealed cabinets ( acoustic suspension ) and should remain sealed.
  • Now, to patch up, I can only think of Mud Pudge. Maybe an other AK member will know about something better.
  • I do think that these have some kind of threated cloth surround - at least not foam I'm shure.
  • Maybe find another tweeter THAT FITS specs - but I think these sound good as they are
  • And they areOhhh, they are vintage memories.
  • Enjoy !

I had a pair of these for several years. And do fix those holes. not just because these are a sealed design, but after time moving back and forth along with pressure from the wookers could cause them to tear more. Hopefully more will chime in on what to use. Ive used clear silicone before. Brushed on from the back side. So it looked better. If I remember right, these are rubber surrounds not foam or cloth. They should hold up pretty well.

there is also a black RTV that might look better. it is harder to find though. it is imperative to make a completely airtight cab for it all to work as designed.

I too picked up a pair of T-100s the other day. I have to say I was impressed, considering expectations. Fun little towers. Sounds really nice with a smaller sansui amp I forgot I had.
The OEM grill clothe is quite ugly imo. Really a nicely built speaker otherwise.

The surrounds are an odd kind of foam that does not deteriorate like standard foam. Something like Tear Mender should work well on them, and cones too if damaged.

Recap!
Crossover is a single capacitor attached near the L-pad, maybe an 4.7mfd? If memory serves correctly.

Deoxit!
That L-pad needs it. :)

I like mine very much.

https://www.tearmender.com/tear-mender-fabric-leather-adhesive/

Available from ACE hardware stores.

Your wife is a keeper, not that you were not aware of that. :)

Last edited:
There were some real jewels from RS back in the day. The Nova and Optimus lines from the early 70s to mid 80s could be really, really good. Of course the Minimus 7s are almost legendary and still popular. I have Nova 7s and Minimus 7Ws that I will never willingly part with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, I never would have thought to plug the RCA port. :thumbsup: I plan on fixing the kitty damage, will have to see if there is a thread on fixing kitty damaged surrounds, I can feel the air coming out of the holes.
These are my first sealed enclosures, and I am liking what I'm hearing.
I think when you only pay $30 for speakers your expectations are not high so when you hear it for the first time you are not disappointed, even if they turned out to be total junk, (they are not) it was only $30. :cool:

My Novas are my first AS speakers and I cannot believe how much I like them. When you get yours fixed so they are sealed better they will sound even better. When I got my Novas last month I had them hooked up to a Kenwood KR 4600 (30wpc) and I really liked them, but when I got my Marantz 2220B they almost sounded like different speakers! I went from really liking them, to loving them. I like how your Optimus' have the connectors hidden on the bottom......those cabinets are really nice looking. They were $179 each when new.

2012_01_04_17_39_57.jpg

One of my Novas has the plug and I taped over the other one with Gorilla Tape when I got them......I have to keep on the look out for replacement plugs.

there is also a black RTV that might look better. it is harder to find though. it is imperative to make a completely airtight cab for it all to work as designed.

I've used spray adhesive with a piece of electrical tape.

My wife was on her Facebook today when she called me over, she said are these speakers any good? Someone local had them on Facebook for $30, So I did a quick search for them here, after reading some conflicting opinions about these speakers I thought, what the hell, they are a 10 min drive from here and the beautiful walnut cabinets are worth $30 bucks even if they sound like s**t. I got them home and hooked them up to my 2385, and I have to say, I'm not disappointed.....for 30 bucks they sound not to bad. Also I bought them of the original owner. :)

View attachment 936880 View attachment 936881 View attachment 936883
Kitty damage. :rolleyes:
View attachment 936884

The weak link perhaps?
View attachment 936886

These will be needing some deoxit.
View attachment 936891

I will be able to judge them better once I get this amp done, the table is in the way.
View attachment 936896
Bottom line; If I paid $100 for these, I would still be happy. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom