Minty SA-9100 Score

Grayhouse

Ever since I sold my first SA-9100 to a friend a while back I have been kicking myself almost everyday. So when I saw this one in a thrift store a couple of weeks ago....and at less than $30.00 no less I practically fainted on the spot. OK it wasn't so minty when I saw it. It was covered in every concievible form of dirt and grime you can name, but I could see that there was no damage buy the crispness of its lines. Without even bothering to test it I bought it and brought it home. After a good blowing out of the interior I powered it up and and the sweet sounds that came from this thing blew me away. It sounds even better then my first one, I couldn't believe it. After spending all day cleaning and polishing the exterior it just kept getting better and better. I cleaned all the controls and just yesterday I adjusted the bias and offset as well. The only major flaw is one small nick to the top of the face plate, that being the only scratch to the face, or knobs that I could find, you can see it in the photos and there are a couple of nicks to the side of the cabinet, but other than that it's one of the finest 9100's I have ever seen. But all that aside. It's mainly about the sound. I swear the SA-9100 has to be one of the finest and best sounding amps ever made and probally one the finest built, maybe even over built, it's like a mack truck. I can't believe I ever got rid of my first one, but this one I'm taken to the grave.

sa9100aa02.jpg

sa9100aa05.jpg

sa9100aa09.jpg

sa9100aa11.jpg

Last edited:
That's the most beautiful SA-9100 I have ever seen. And you are a terrific photographer to boot.

Excellent unit! One can see the superiority of Pioneer integrateds compared to lesser brands. Lots of nice touches like variable phono loading and level controls for each input...

I hope I come across a beauty like that...

Last edited:
looks like she belongs in a museum!

quick question Grayhouse, Do you completely disassemble the unit in question? :scratch2:

Beautiful! :thmbsp: Pioneer really had every aspect of home electronics perfected. :yes:

glen65 said:
Forget about the amp a second,
What did you use to take the pics with?

You can bet there is no flash involved and good use of a tripod. . . Good camera+good lighting+someone who understands pics = GREAT PICS

quick question Grayhouse, Do you completely disassemble the unit in question?
Actually on this one all I really had to do was remove all the knobs and face plate and give them a good cleaning and polishing. The funny thing was is that there was alot of dust on the inside, but it looked like somebody had placed something on the top covering the grill (I could tell from the outline in the dirt and grime) so not much of it ever got on the inside of the unit. There was alot of dust inside, but not overtly grimey like the outside so all I really had to do was blow it out and go to work with some brushes to get in all the crevises. For the cabinet I took some 0000 steel wool soaked in some wood restorer and gave it a very light rubbing witch helped a great deal, but I think a good rubbing of some tung oil would really bring out the lustre once more.

You can bet there is no flash involved and good use of a tripod. . . Good camera+good lighting+someone who understands pics = GREAT PICS
Your right gyusher, there is no flash involved. flash is death to anything shiny like electronics and you have to use a tripod...it's a must. Actually the camera is not the best. It's a Cannon Power Shot SD200 Digital Elpf. The real secret is preperation, working with as much natural light as you possibly can and dust control....did I mention dust control. It seems like thats all your doing is getting the dust under control between shots, speacialy on anything black it just draws the dust like a moth to a flame. It gets to the point you see dust in your sleep. Here are a few more shots. The only bad thing about this SA-9100 is that it makes my TX-9100 look a little long in the tooth. I think I'm gonna have to get busy on that one next.

sa9100aa07.jpg

sa9100aa01.jpg

sa9100aa12.jpg

Last edited:
Grayhouse said:
For the cabinet I took some 0000 steel wool soaked in some wood restorer and gave it a very light rubbing witch helped a great deal, but I think a good rubbing of some tung oil would really bring out the lustre once more.

I use a mixture of lemonoil and beeswax. . . "Howards" makes an acceptable one that is Orange Oil and Beeswax that is a snap to use.

I have been using my "Boyds Lustre Wax" for over 30 years. . . got it with my first JBL loudspeakers. . .still have a handful left. . .

Very nice Grayhouse !!! :thmbsp:

As said... that is truly one of the more exceptional ones around... :yes:

That is one very nice piece of equipment. Made me feel guilty about not cleaning and polishing my gear recently, so I got the supplies out and went to work.

Doc

Back
Top Bottom