Minutes Left

Klipshman

You've dug out a fresh blank tape to record onto your RTR, got all of side 1 and 2 from your favorite LP recorded on Side 1and still have about 3-5 minutes left on the tape. What do you do?

I ran across this situation today and knew I had nothing that may work to fill in those last minutes. Do you search for something that will or just turn the tape around to record Side B after putting the sensing tape on Side 1?

I just let the tape go to the end, then put reversing foil near the tape/leader spice.

It seems if I try to get fancy, and put foil at the end of side one recording, then whatever I record on side 2 will need the extra minutes.......

True-I have a tendency to want to get all I can from Side 1, put the foil on about a minute past the last note and go from there to Side 2 being careful to be sure and watch that foil pass the heads for a bit before recording.

I usually dig through my albums and CD's by the same artist and try to find something that will fit in the space. I don't like unused sections of tape when I can avoid it and I always start side two right at the beginning, so I like music as close to the end of side one as I can get it. I really like the auto reverse feature and music to the end of the tape makes it more enjoyable IMO.

You've dug out a fresh blank tape to record onto your RTR, got all of side 1 and 2 from your favorite LP recorded on Side 1and still have about 3-5 minutes left on the tape. What do you do?

I ran across this situation today and knew I had nothing that may work to fill in those last minutes. Do you search for something that will or just turn the tape around to record Side B after putting the sensing tape on Side 1?

Record another track similar to the last song on the album when the tape gets really close to the end (set your counter) cut the power to the turntable, apply foil - then when you start to record the other side just turn the power back on so the LP speed ramps back up.

Much cooler than an "8trak" type interruption and for fun You can tell em the house current blinked off and on right at the end of the tape. :thmbsp:

OP;

Been there done that a lot. I just go with side 2.

Not sure if I'm just too lazy to find filler or if that's just what I've been doing since I was 17, and now it's simply standard procedure.

Either way, that's what I do.

Play the run out groove from Sgt. Pepper for 3 or 4 minutes. :smoke:

..or The James Gang YER ALBUM

Some of my favorite music is the filler I place at the end of a tape. NOW that there is a computer in the mix (NO pun intended!), I can find tracks by elapsed time down to the second and will search for something "there" ...see below

Attachments

• time.jpg
    time.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I doubt Sgt. Pepper or the James Gang would go well with a symphony of Rachmaninoff.:) As I began to ponder over that amount of left over tape, I decided to time it to see how much was left. There wasn't as much as I thought, only a minute and about 45 seconds so, I just let it go at that and put the sensing foil on around 10-15 seconds after the first side.

I found a CD that had some short times of Adagios, such as 2':30'', but it wouldn't have fit on the remaining time on the tape.

Record short tunes. Haven't done the James Gang lead out groove recording yet.

I will never use the foil tape and would remove it from any tape I have.

Some glue oozed out of a new foil tape (had to be new this happened in 1980) and that glue caught the capstan and wound a reel of tape on the capstan until the motor burned up. That was an adjusted for inflation, $350 repair, but I got a new playback head in the deal IIRC.

If you anticipate the same happening on side 2, simply leave enough for leader and snip off the excess. No law says you have to use the whole tape. Editing is one big advantage of the open reel format.

Back
Top Bottom