Mirage 490's and Magnepan SMG's: Advice needed!

The Mirages' are a very well built speaker and definately worth the price.
But.....they are a flavour all unto themselves.
Check out some reviews to see what i'm talking about.
I have a pair and like them very much.

Little Maggies SMGs' are a vintage sweetheart, but.....they will dry out and become brittle, so they are prone to tearing.
In which case, a repair will be in order.
Not only are the socks a Bi*** to remove/replace, but repair can be a trick to say the least.

Quick summation.

SMGs/SMGas, very open, air sound with a soundstage the encompasses you.
They need a strong, non-clipping power supply and are heavily reliant on placement.

The Mirage are about as ineffecient, but posses a stronger bottom end at the sacrifice of the spatial quialties the Maggies posses.
Not so prone to destruction due to clipping.
Plus, the mid-range isn't as defined as the Maggies.
Read: extremely source dependant.

IE.
Sound quality = Maggies SMG
Sound quantity = Mirages 490

There in again, you said it best.....they are two totally different critters

If you want to rock out...go Mirage.
If you want to melt into the jazz scene...go Maggies.

If you don't care....buy some Vegas and call it good.

Cheers,
John

My thoughts exactly. The maggies have wonderful spound quality, but roll off the highs and just aren't for rock n' roll. I don't listen to enough "avante-garde" music to even use them as secondary speakers, I suspect. Plus, I hear they are maintenance prone :sigh:

Cerwin Vega's? Shouldn't you be bashing Bose?! At least Cerwins are effiecient and have some bass!

In any case, thanks for your advcie.

My fault.
Not bashing Vegas......really. :)
I can see where you think that given my last statement.
My intention wasn't to appear that way.

Vegas' are/were decent, heavy duty rock speakers and given the right sources, can sound decent.

I have a pair of AT-10s and DX7s.
I've bought and sold about 4 pairs of "newer" models of the past couple years.
They are mostly, indesructable.

I'm just saying, that if you don't want to deal with placement, large amps, or expensive front end gear, then Vegas are a viable alternative.

Won't see me bash Bose too often, either.
The modern stuff is for the birds, IMO, in that you really don't get what your paying for.
Not that they don't sound good to others' ears....just not my cup o' tea, in that regards.

Some of their vintage pieces are pretty nice.
I still have a pair of 101 music monitors which were specifcally engineered for rough service in automobiles.
The things sound pretty darn good and can be used anywhere, anytime with just about any source.

Regards,
John

I've actually never heard Cerwin Vega's. That being said, they really are a thing of the 80's, and are very uncompetetive seeing their steep prices that fall in the range of boutique audio.

As for Bose? Ech! I have Bose 201 Series VI loudspeakers. I'd rather use my my 70's Kenwoods than those speakers. Nothing horrible about them, but nothings really right either. Plus, they haven't been significantly been changed in 30+ years. Cone tweeter and untreated pulp woofer with foam surround? Sounds more like Aiwa then hifi!

That being said, some people have said good things about the series 1 and 2 901's. Never heard of what you have, though...

Pboy14 said:
I've actually never heard Cerwin Vega's. That being said, they really are a thing of the 80's, and are very uncompetetive seeing their steep prices that fall in the range of boutique audio.

Are you referring to Cerwin Vega speakers being high priced? CVs have never been particularly expensive from what I recall. Always been sort of a working man's speaker brand.

Jeff

I've owned both the SMG's and a few weeks later the Maggie 1C's. I still have the maggie 1c's and after 18 years the diagphams have not dried out. The SMG's went back to the dealer for the 1C's. The SMG's will need a subwoofer for almost any kind of music, other than pure vocals and guitar. I can squeak by without one on the 1C's 'cause most of the music that I listen to, doesn't require bone rattling bass. If you're sitting in the 'catbird seat', it doesn't get any better, than the Maggie's.

As far as durability, the local dealer tells stories of two of his customers. One pair of Maggies were sitting poolside at a party, and you guessed it.....one of 'em went for swim. Fished it out and let it dry out for a few days. Good as new. The grill cloth was a little cleaner!!! The second pair were victims of a frozen/broken water pipe, while the owners were gone on a winter vacation. again no damage.

You have to audtion them to really tell which you prefer.

Mike

Well Pboy...you seem to have it figured out.
Good for you.
Tear it up, brother.
I'm behind you 159%.

You know what?
I'll bet that 95% of the people haven't heard what i'm talking about and I suppose that 90% will never have the "luxury' to experience the things I have in my collection.

I just very lucky....that's all. :)
No big deal really....

Just gives "them"...and you....something to aspire to.

I only thought I would be "COOL" and respond to you thread of crazy ass proportions.
I mean, dude...come on....
What you were originally asking was like asking if someone prefer Gasoline or Milk.

WTF am I suppose to say?
Apples and oranges.......... and Cerwin Vegas fall directly in the middle of the mix.

No disrespect, my friend.
Don't misunderstand my intentions.
I'm here for you, brother.
We all have alot to learn.
Sometimes, it just takes a little while.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and concerns surrounding any impending purchase or impending aquisition.

I'm always happy to help, with a more frank response than what's allowed here.
Hell....if you P.M. me....I would be happy to give you my phone # for a one-on-one real time conversation so we could elaborate on such issues.

Peace, love and soul train...

Regards,
John....;"that crazy bastard from MI."

Back
Top Bottom