Missing your Stanton 680/681, Empire 2000Z, ADC or other sweet MI cartridge?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by needlestein, Feb 3, 2018.

1. totem

totem AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes that's the fellow..

2. marcmorin

marcmorin AK Subscriber Subscriber

could be, the wood body carts have no can, and the coils are open/exposed on the bottom side of the cart.

3. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Sonata Reference I have also comes with a sweet expensive looking wood box, so you get more than just the wood body.;) I found it to be a nice sounding cart, as good as many of my MM carts, as if I am not mistaken it is a Moving Iron cart. I still have it but rarely use it anymore as I do think the MC carts to be a better sounding cart overall. If you tend to like a bit more bass tonal range then you might like this cart better than a MC cart in the same price range. But I think the Audio Technic OC9/III Micro Coil MC is a better cart, which when I purchased it was close to the same price range.

fiddlefye likes this.
  4. needlestein

needlestein AK Subscriber Subscriber

I did get the box, too. I think it’s really a matter of taste at this point. I’ve had a number of OC9s pass through my hands, but not a III yet. I’d take the Grado, but I love MI. You had me at “bit more bass tonal range.” I’m also a sucker for silky, which most MI cartridges are (but not Grado Prestige).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    fiddlefye likes this.
  5. needlestein

Well, this is turned out to be a nightmare. I returned the cartridge because Indidnt appreciate that the cantilever was all marked with pliers marks and flattened. The seller agreed to a return for a refund on eBay. Today, the seller has new photos and says that I bent the stylus. It’s completely bent all the way over now! When I pressed in an email how it happened, he said that it came back that way, that the box opened, the stylus cover came off and that’s how the stylus looked.

No way. Not unless that box was trashed by the post office, but you think he’d have said that some rather than I bent it, which is what he said first.

Still, ebay’s holding my refund until they decide.

What a fiasco.

6. marcmorin

if it had the original stylus cover, it will not come off/fall off in transport. As you know, it has to be pried off the cart body

7. needlestein

It did! Not to mention that it was inside the locked display box, nestled in velvet.

Well, we’ll see what eBay says. If I’m out the $218, I’ll just have to take the long view. I’ve saved thousands on eBay, and now I’m getting decent side income with retipping, so, it’s really not worth the aggravation. I depend on eBay, so it’s not like I’ll do anything other than to continue to retip and flip.

In almost twenty years of eBay transacting, this is the first nut. That’s a great record.

8. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

I suspect that the seller, irked at having to accept the return, had a tantrum when opening up the package you sent back and trashed the stylus in the process.

9. marcmorin

as do I............the cart comes packed bomb proof. the box would have to be destroyed. i've shipped my Sonata-1 halfway around the world several times......not a chance in hell that stylus guard can come off

fiddlefye likes this.
  10. needlestein

Yes!

eBay sided with me issued me a full refund!

As they should have, but it sucked waiting for a decision.

I also notice that the seller no longer has anything for sale. I wonder if ebay suspended his account. They should. That was asinine what he did.

Anyway, I have a Statement Sonata on the way now. I’ve always wanted a low output Grado. This one is supposed to be in great shape.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    fiddlefye and illinoisteve like this.