Mission 763i... NOW I understand "sound stage"

Martin Angus

I just had an eureka moment. Picked up another bargain - a pair of Mission 763i speakers in good shape.
I disconnected a pair of Paradigm 5se Mk3 and wired up the Missions. It became very apparent that the latter presents the audio in an almost 3 dimensional way. From drum solos to symphony to classical guitar the audible difference was significant. Perhaps it was synergy with my Rotel preamp and Bryston 3B? Mission doesn't seem to get much discussion... I need to get to know this Brit speaker maker better. Any love for Mission out there?

Mission made some excellent speakers, though they were know more for their smaller ones rather than the floorstanding models with the exception of some generations of the 770 and 780. Mission came along well after Kef, B&W, Celestion and Tannoy and does not seem to have achieved the same level of consistent distribution as these older companies but they are well know and respected. You have a nice speaker there and a good system to drive them with, enjoy!

Some history:

http://www.audio4maniacs.co.uk/blog-article-mission770.html

Nice speakers. :thumbsup:
I have the 770 mk2. I've had a lot of speakers in my system over the years But always ended up going back to my missions so I gave up buying speakers and stick with the 770s

I picked up a pair of pair of 763s, (sans i) a few months ago. Rubber surrounds were dryed and cracked, but they still sound awesome!

can you easily power up that speaker with a 300b 8 watts tube amp or I'm gonna ran out of gas?

I have a pair it's a shame this an old post, they gave in not long ago, they were inherited from my father, although I'm into hifi myself and have my own I still set them up, they ran very well off a pioneer a400, very warm sound a very capable speaker, I currently have a pair of mx3s with a wharfdale sw150 in the living room and my main set up was mission lx 4s mk2 which I recently changed to q acoustics 3050i, mission are a very good brand although not British anymore as is the way with so much now, I bought myself a roskan k3 the other day and thought to myself strangely that the 763i would be great with it, the deep bass they produce is just what the roskan likes,

Back
Top Bottom