Mission 780 argonaut mkii or Klipsch Forte

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by whisper1070, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:06 PM.

1. whisper1070

whisper1070 New Member

Hello. I'm interested in opinions between the mission 780 argonaut mkii speakers and the klipsch Forte. I have the chance to purchase both locally for around $500. I love detailed speakers with great dynamic range with tight bass. I also have amplification for all ends of the spectrum including a tripath amplifier and a harman kardon citation 22. Thank you in advance for all your time and help.

Attached Files:

2. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

I can only think of one suggestion, go listen to them. :)

I'm rockin' a pair of Forte's right now so I'm biased with regard to this issue. I've heard some Mission speakers before, not sure the models but they were nice from what I remember.

3. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, you are going to have to listen and decide for yourself. I sold both of those speakers when they were new. No one would have bought a pair of either from me based on my opinion without listening back then, no reason for you to do so now.

FWIIW both generally fit the sound you are looking for and both are quite efficient, will work on low power, will sound better on better amplification.

darkblue94 likes this.
  4. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

When I was a young pig attending college, I also worked in an audio store as a part time salesperson. We sold both Klipsch and Mission. While teh Forte are a nice speaker, and there is magic with low powered tube amps, they would not be my choice. The Argonauts are a fine speaker, and I would not pass them up. They can be a tad forward in the upper mids, as all Mission speakers were from that time period. However, their overall sound performance is excellent, and they are a refined and nuanced speaker. They do need to be loaded off the front wall, and ideal placement is a couple of inches off it. The soundstage is projected into the room, rather than having a lot of depth behind the speaker. They are getting tough to come by, owners seem to hold onto them. That would be my choice, but hey I am just a pig you know.

Regards
    Mister Pig

whisper1070 likes this.
  5. savatage1973

savatage1973 Super Member

I have never owned any Mission speakers, but experienced them over the years (but I don't know/recall what specific models). I have owned all of the "three sisters" of the Klipsch series--Quartet, Chorus and Forte, so I may be a little biased. Both the Klipsch and Mission are competent speakers, so the advice to go listen to both is very good advice. One consideration that you may want to factor into the equation is that there are tons of readily available parts/modifications for the Klipsch, so if you like to "tinker" or "customize", I'd go with the Klipsch.

6. borus

borus Luthier tube guy Subscriber

It depends on the room, hearing them somewhere else can be vary deceiving the Fortes will need space behind them from what Mister Pig says the Missions don't. This may not matter in your room. I like the Fortes but they do have that passive radiator on the back to close and it is overwhelming.

darkblue94 likes this.
  7. whisper1070

whisper1070 New Member

Thank you for the information. I should have included that my room is only 11×13. I have my current speakers (definitive technology sm450) 30"' from the back wall and 22" from the side walls. The Forte's are only a few miles away but the missions are 2 hours away. I'm leaning toward the Missions as they look very unique. I Just sold my klipsch CF-2'S which were amazing but a bit too large for my room (bass wise). The Forte's are also $225 more. I'm definitely not interested in modifying speakers as I believe in hearing what the designer originally intended. I'll post some pics and impressions as soon as I pick them up. Another fabulous Mission speaker I had were the 781i Cyrus. So far my favorite klipsch speakers were the Cornwalls. I'm also a big fan of the JBL L-5's.

8. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

I actually found both the 770 and 780 from that generation too forward for my taste but the 780 did have more bass to balance it out, though to bring that out you needed big amps dspite their efficiency. Agree on the placement.

The OP mentions the Cyrus 781, though much cheaper I thought it was a better speaker though of course not as full range or loud.

9. whisper1070

whisper1070 New Member

So now I'm wondering. I will definitely audition both. I miss rumbling tactile bass...Unbelievably as this may sound ...I prefer my Amptastic Mini-T over most amplifiers up to 3k. How is this possible? That's why I originally thought the Forte's would win out. Power quality is markedly superior after 7pm. Is it possible that there's more noise resistance due to the tripath design? My harman kardon citation 22 is very dynamic and capable but not in the same league...Just trying to system match for the greatest outcome

10. whisper1070

whisper1070 New Member

A few of my favorite system pics

Attached Files:

11. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

If you've got those Cornwalls why in the world are you looking for a replacement? :idea:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 9:03 PM
  12. whisper1070

whisper1070 New Member

I've had them twice...my god they are so dynamic...moving situations

darkblue94 likes this.
  13. whisper1070

whisper1070 New Member

Some pics of my newly acquired Mission 780 Argonaut MKII speakers ...pure music bliss with my Tripath amplifier. So transparent in many dimensions

Attached Files:

14. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've never seen so much cement in a living space in my life. You must be single because most women would have left you at the altar after seeing this setup.

whisper1070 likes this.
  15. whisper1070

whisper1070 New Member

I'm on my 3rd marriage lol....This one is a charm ...any real woman supports her man's passion

eiraved likes this.