Mitsubishi LT-20 Linear Tracking Turntable Question

Neill Jones

My question involves the rubber mat on the turntable. After about 20 years, I finally decided to open my LT-20 in its original packing box and attach it to my new Yamaha RX-V683 Receiver. Believe it or not, works great. My only problem is the turntable mat has two raised places toward the outside rim due to sitting for so long in storage with the mat caught up in the styrofoam mold. I've tried a heavy book and clear wide tape to see if the weight would flatten the rubber mat, but to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions or where I can get a new/used rubber mat?

I've tried a heavy book and clear wide tape to see if the weight would flatten the rubber mat, but to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions or where I can get a new/used rubber mat?

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

You may want to put the mat in a large basic or tub and let it sit in hot "boiling water" for a short time and see if it will soften. :idea:

In the meantime, you can use any regular mat — for 12" LPs. The "windows" in the Mitsu mat are for detecting 7" and 10" records, and aren't needed for 12" — it chooses 12" by default. I've had the LT-20 for 6–7 years now and I've never used the original mat because I only play 12" records, so I know. Perfectly safe, so fixing (or replacing) the warped mat is a less urgent priority.

If you do play the other sizes, you can still do it, but you have to cue manually using the buttons.

If you can't get your mat right, PM me.

In the meantime, you can use any regular mat — for 12" LPs. The "windows" in the Mitsu mat are for detecting 7" and 10" records, and aren't needed for 12" — it chooses 12" by default. I've had the LT-20 for 6–7 years now and I've never used the original mat because I only play 12" records, so I know. Perfectly safe, so fixing (or replacing) the warped mat is a less urgent priority.

If you don't have a regular mat, just use another LP on top of the platter, under the one you're playing. It will block the "windows", which is all that's needed.

If you do play the other sizes, you can still do it, but you have to cue manually using the buttons.

I doubt you can fix that mat. They leech oils and harden over time and are usually dead when the symptoms you've seen occur.

You can however make a replacement fairly easily with cork. Easy to cut and make cutouts in for the sizing windows.

Some have reported good results with this product. It really depends on how far gone your mat is.

My question involves the rubber mat on the turntable. After about 20 years, I finally decided to open my LT-20 in its original packing box and attach it to my new Yamaha RX-V683 Receiver. Believe it or not, works great. My only problem is the turntable mat has two raised places toward the outside rim due to sitting for so long in storage with the mat caught up in the styrofoam mold. I've tried a heavy book and clear wide tape to see if the weight would flatten the rubber mat, but to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions or where I can get a new/used rubber mat?

If you don't have a regular mat, just use another LP on top of the platter, under the one you're playing. It will block the "windows", which is all that's needed.

Well, I thank everyone for their suggestions! I did try putting the mat in boiling water in the sink and even with a heavy pan on top the place that is 'up' and to no avail. I have not looked for a 12' replacement mat yet, but may just play my LPs without the mat like was suggested. THEN I realized the needle was 'missing' from the mounted ORTOFON cartridge so ordered one from Amazon. The Yamaha Receiver RT-V683 works fantastic in all other modes so VERY HAPPY overall.....

Back
Top Bottom