Mitsubishi MS-10 bookshelf speakers

Sam Cogley

Last of the Time Lords
Subscriber
What's the story on these? Very little info turned up in a Google search. They're bookshelf two-ways with a honeycomb woofer and a cone tweeter that looks a lot like JBL used in the L26/L36/etc. family. Real walnut veneer, circuit breaker protection for the tweeter. Heavy as all get-out. A local thrift has a pair for $20 each needing some veneer work, new grille cloth, new surrounds on the woofers, and new dust caps. All things considered, it's way too much for me with the current speaker pile unless they're something really special.

I remember Mits audio equipment in the 80's, most meant for the "average" user, nothing special. But, not sure if Mits ever had higher end stuff, for sure I know most of it was the typical mass market Japanese audio product. My first new car was a 1991 4-Dr. Mits Montero, these days I own a 2006 Mits Montero Ltd. (Clarion DVD head unit, Alpine 5-Ch amp, Infinity Kappa speakers, JL Audio sub), if you need info on those Mits I can help a lot.

Can't say much about these particular speakers, but Mitsubishi did made some very good stuff when they wanted to. Most of the good Mitsu speakers I've seen were for the domestic Japanese market, with few examples making it elsewhere. They definitely knew a thing or two about speakers; Diatone is a Mitsubishi brand, and Diatone speakers are well-respected (at least in Japan). If they are heavy and well-constructed, I'd be inclined to give them a try, UNLESS you are (as your post suggests) more than well-supplied with great speakers. If you are trying to upgrade and enjoy flipping or rotating speakers (as opposed to hoarding them?), then I'd say go for it. You have only $20 and a bit of work and potential clutter for a downside, but there is a good chance if you're sitting on a pile of average or mid-fi speakers that these may out-perform some that you already have, so there should be a good upside, too. Just my best guess, based on the Mitsubishi speakers I've heard. They're generally good.

Currently I have BA A150s in the living room, and Bozak B302s and Klipsch KG3.2s in the bedroom, with some baby speakers scattered around (BA A40s, Mission M70IIs, and some little Infinities that I need to sell). And I'm possibly picking up some Cornwall cabinets tomorrow for my on-and-off Tannoy K3808 project. The Mitsus are more of a curiosity - if I pick them up and they sound great enough that I want to keep them, great. If not, I'd at least like to get my money back - purchase price, new grille cloth, new woofer surrounds at least...and the store has them marked $20 each.

That helped! I'm surprised at the low price - approximately $86 for the pair in 1980. Either Audio Database has an error, or Mitsu got a great deal on wood supplies.

I'll post the specs for the MS-10 later, don't have that info scanned currently.

ms20.jpg

I have a pair of the MS-20 that I bought new in 1978 and still use today after a re-cap.

ms30s.jpg

I also own the MS-30 3-ways.

p3063286.jpg

And the MS-30's older brother, the DS-35B.

The prices shown on the brochure pics were from 1978. I never considered the MS-10 so I don't have pricing info for them I'm afraid but I can assure you they weren't $86.00 each.

Sorry for the large pics!

Last edited:
DS-35Bs are awesome speakers.

Driven by an amp with plenty of clean power and dynamic headroom, with a good source, they are magical in their soundstage and ability to play loud and clean. But they're very revealing and can point out any weak links in the signal chain.

This has me more interested...still need to get the store to drop the price, a LOT. They'll be sitting there for a while at this rate, which means they'll probably get torn up. :(

If they were $20 for the PAIR, I'd do it. As it is, with a 25% off coupon I have, they'd still be $30, plus the cost of surrounds. And I'd have to re-do the grille cloth, and I'm pretty sure I don't have enough grille fabric for my various projects right now as it is.

That said, I think I'm going to run up there with some speaker wire to test them. There's a cheap 90s Kenwood receiver sitting on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom