Mix-and-Match Listening

Dave B.

I'm interested to know how my AK friends listen to their audio equipment.

I have a fairly large room filled with speakers, amps, preamps, and other equipment. It's all connected and can be played as individual systems or in combinations, all the way up to "all together." :eek:

For those of you who have multiple system configurations in your listening rooms, do you listen to just one system at a time or do you experiment with various mixes of different speakers, amps, etc.?

I find it interesting how playing groups of different equipment together -- especially speakers -- can bring out undiscovered aspects of overly familiar recordings.

Call me crazy :crazy:, but I call it fun. :thumbsup:

Thanks for detailing your experiences.

Dave

I'm using a Frankenspeaker, composed of parts from four different, unrelated 'real' speaker systems. Namely, from the top 1) A small Heil AMT as a super-tweeter (comes in at about 8000Hz); 2) KEF REF 101 2-way for treble/upper mid (bass rolls off at about 700Hz; 3) 6.5" lower-mid/upper bass (from a GNP Valkyrie; operates from 65–700Hz); and an 8" powered sub below 80Hz. Somehow it works.

I just threw that in — I think you're talking about using 'complete' speakers together, instead of one at a time, no?

Back
Top Bottom