ML-2C with custom mid-tweeter arrangement

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by Johnny_Law, Aug 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Johnny_Law

Johnny_Law AK Member Subscriber

Picked up a pair of ML-2C's with some custom drivers. Anyone ever see anything like this before? They actually sound pretty good! Crossover looks all original, woofers all freshly re-foamed, all drivers work. Early-ish serial no.s (L2C682 and L2C686).

I think after a re-cap and a re-finish, they may make it inside to meet the C24/MC502 and see if any magic happens. I'm pretty excited to have a full McIntosh system (minus the turntable, will use the AR-XA until I find a Mac TT).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Nope - those are unique!

Johnny_Law likes this.
  3. Johnny_Law

Interesting ... I'll probably pull them all and see if I can figure out what they are and how they compare to the original equipment.

4. Johnny_Law

The story is that these came from / were likely modified by a shop called Trend Electronics in San Francisco, and were acquired from the shop owner Gordon Wagner or his brother Stuart. I am seeing if I can get in touch with either. Maybe someone here knew them or the shop when it was in business?

5. Johnny_Law

Well I'm at a fork in the road here. These have ended up sitting in my garage while other projects came and went. Now I need to decide whether they are worth finding original tweeter and midranges. Or, if there are any suggested replacement tweeters and midranges that are reasonably priced? It looks like I can remove the front wood panel and replace it with a fresh one pretty easily (judging from visible screws - unsure if screwed / glued from the back).

What would the group do here? What's the best move?

Get new front wood panels, and
    -Find original components (tweeters, midranges, mesh covers), or
    -Find replacement components (tweeters, midranges) and original mesh covers

Don't get new front wood panels, and
    -Part them out because it's not worth it

6. motorstereo

motorstereo the wonder of it all Subscriber

If it was me I'd either find a spot like a garage or outbuilding where cosmetics aren't important or sell them as is. I see way too many headaches getting them back to original and presentable. Even if you did get them back up to snuff cosmetically, recapped and all you still should use the MQ101 with them and that adds still more $$.

Johnny_Law likes this.
  7. Johnny_Law

Thanks ... well, I should note that I realized the tweeters pictured above are in fact KEF T27s. I happened to be in need of a KEF T27 for some Ref. 104s ... so I stole it from the ML-2C. :p

I guess I could refurb or replace the bad T27 I have, maybe, but I'd need to spend some $ on the T27 or a replacement either way.

I did in the meantime acquire an MQ102 - so I do have that already, if it changes the calculus.

If I was to try to find replacement drivers, any de facto standards or suggestions? I didn't catch mention of aftermarket replacements from Mr. Russell http://www.roger-russell.com/drivers.htm, http://www.roger-russell.com/ml2cservice.htm, http://www.roger-russell.com/speakers.htm#ml2c

8. damacman

If they sound good, why not just retain the parts and keep the grilles on? WGAF?

9. Johnny_Law

Mainly because I cannibalized one for one of the T27s so I'd need a new tweeter anyway, but also because I'd like to hear them as they were originally made - or get as close to that as I can - if feasible.

I should see if I can figure out what those strange dome midrange drivers are.

10. damacman

You can email roger via his web site. He'll help you with driver info. You may also call Audio Classics
    to see if they happen to have any parts or leads.

11. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

I have two pair of ML 1s that have been holding down the floor boards in my shop space for years.........

Back in the 80's Mac parts was having much difficulty supplying replacement domes. They were unable to get replacement magnet structures so we were without replacement midranges for more than 6 months.

A lot of customers as well as salespeople found the voicing of the Mac speakers to be dull sounding so it would not surprise me that a local dealer might try to resolve both issues by modifying a set of his speakers before offering this option to customers.

How much do you think it would cost to replicate the cabinet at todays prices? Do you find the cabinets attractive? Do you know anyone who does?

I have one ML and two XR domes left.....you need four, I would not want to face the bill for 4 ML domes..... If you could find them.

I have had a little success in finding drop in driver replacements. We also did do a RR designed and sourced ML driver update with marginal success. The owner was happy, we found it to leave a lot of possibilities behind.

If the cabinets are found to be worthy of refinishing and are then able to find a new home, it should be possible to update the midrange structure of the speakers to enhance the already well done bass.

RR did this with his Morel driver update but again he voiced the replacement sytem for concert hall row twenty so we had to quickly follow his revised crossover design and remove all his dropping resistors to keep the owner happy. The revised voicing curves still showed row 16 but the owner found this to be acceptable.

You have a challenge in front of you.....

12. Johnny_Law

Hmm. Ok so maybe I would be better suited with the drivers already in there, and just cleaning up the front baffle...

If I were to find modern replacement drivers, the frequency ranges are pretty clear from the literature. The mid mid-range has to handle 1.5kHz to 3kHz, the high mid-range has to handle 3kHz to 7kHz, and the tweeter has to handle 7kHz and above. I'm just not sure what the impedance curves look like for the originals. Anyone know if that information exists anywhere?

13. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

Have your checked the crossover for changes that might have been done when the new drivers were installed? Roger did a lot of massaging of the inherent inaccuracies in the original mid dome 036-016 compared to the later 036-035 mid dome. I would expect that those might have been changed back in the 80s repair.

The original ML2s would measure +3 at 100 hz, 0 at 1000, and be down -6dB at 10,000 in a typical American living room of that day....certainly reinforced their dull sounding image.