Mlb 2013

Nice win.

Wacha wasn't his best, but his last few games have been so good anything less would look like he was getting lit up. But he only gave up 3 hits and only the one bad pitch. CarMart is pitching better each time out. And Rosie strikes out the side in the ninth.

I hate off days in the playoffs.

Is it game time yet? This is agonizing.

This looks like a considerable tilt in the direction of the Cards. Less defensive skills at first base, and no Napoli to face at the plate. There is nowhere else to hide Ortiz.

Ortiz will shift from DH to first base Saturday night for Game 3. Manager John Farrell had little choice but to sit Mike Napoli, who usually plays first base but is resigned to coming off the bench.

Last edited:
I with you knee. Not having Napoli in the lineup could have an impact. I am wondering which Jake Peavy will be on the mound tonight. I think he only made it 3 innings in his last start and Detroit beat him around pretty good.

Baseball is a funny game. After game 1, with Boston hitting the ball all over the field and the Cards booting it around the rest of it sure gave me a feeling that Boston had a pretty large lead in momentum and being favored. I was taking some shit from co-workers but just kept telling them it was just 1 game lost. Made no difference if it was 8-1 or 2-1. Loss is just a loss.

After the Cards took game 2 and them going to St.Louis for games 3,4 and 5 with no DH, the momentum sure feel like it has flipped to favor the Cards.

My fricking boss called me yesterday and said he had to change my schedule due to someone taking a weeks vacation. What that means is I have to get up at 3am starting Sunday morning to go to work. That truly sucks and will severely hamper my ability to stay up and watch the upcoming games. Pisses me off but can't do much about it. At 60 years old I gotta get my sleep.

Last edited:
Kelly looks like he is throwing the ball well early. Another one of the Cardinals young arms. They have leaned heavily on this kid after the All Star game. Prior to that they were using him out of the bullpen.

Players drop balls, managers make dumb moves and umpires miss balls and strikes(especially in the last NLCS)and blow calls.
It's part of the fortunes of the game, emphasis on luck.
No instant replay. Ever.

Players drop balls, managers make dumb moves and umpires miss balls and strikes(especially in the last NLCS)and blow calls.
It's part of the fortunes of the game, emphasis on luck.
No instant replay. Ever.

Replay IS coming and I could not be more glad . If we are talking about umpires , then there is a problem .

Rule 7.06 said:
OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the “act of fielding” the ball. For example: If an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner.
The call was correct, and backed up by the plate umpire.

The call was correct, and backed up by the plate umpire.

Correct. Once the defensive player was on the ground, errant throw passed him and gone, he was sprawled in the path of the base runner. Had the runner not tripped over the impeding defensive player, he beats the throw home easily. Like it or not, that is what happened. Instant replay validates the obstruction call.

:thmbsp:
Correct. Once the defensive player was on the ground, errant throw passed him and gone, he was sprawled in the path of the base runner. Had the runner not tripped over the impeding defensive player, he beats the throw home easily. Like it or not, that is what happened. Instant replay validates the obstruction call.

:thmbsp:

The instant replay showed that 3rd baseman lifted both legs up which was what actually tripped up the runner. It was not a normal movement/ reaction if he was trying to get up and after the ball. You would normally push yourself up on your hands and knees. I have no skin in the game here and no bias ( actually want the Sox to win sense they are an AL East team). That was the correct call. Perhaps if the baseman at least tried to make it look like he was going after the ball he might have been able to get away with it.

I agree with Wolverine. When I watched the replay this morning the 3rd baseman made no attempt to get up and he raised his legs which tripped the runner. Like it or not it was the correct and legit call. Intentional or not makes no difference. He impeded the runner from being able to advance.

The baserunner was out of the basepath . The fielder was in the act of trying to field the ball and therefore not obstucting the baserunner . Judgement call .

The baserunner was out of the basepath . The fielder was in the act of trying to field the ball and therefore not obstucting the baserunner . Judgement call .

Once the errant throw skipped past the third baseman, he no longer was in the act of fielding the ball, as defined by the rule. At that point he became a defensive player between the runner and home plate, flailing his legs around and up, impeding the runner. It was indeed a judgement call-one that was judged correctly, fairly, and without hesitation.

Last edited:
Now that we have that settled, I'll tell you something that pi$$e$ me off no end.

Sorry, ladies, but as much as I'd love to be able to watch a World Series game from behind the plate, it really frosts my corn flakes when the TV cameras do the closeup of the batter, and there's some air-head blonde broad sitting behind the catcher texting on her cell phone, touching up her makeup, or comparing her latest manicure with the airhead sitting next to or behind her. WATCH THE EFFIN' GAME, or give me your ticket!! You can gab in the parking lot!!!

That's all.:D

Once the errant throw skipped past the third basement, he no longer was in the act of fielding the ball, as defined by the rule. At that point he became a defensive player between the runner and home plate, flailing his legs around and up, impeding the runner. It was indeed a judgement call-one that was judged correctly, fairly, and without hesitation.

Legs flailing . Watch it in real time . The fielder is in no way flailing away . lol

If the runner is in the base path where he should be , the fielder is inconsequential .

And I've seen Jim Joyce's calls "without hesitation" . He needs to be sent down to the minors .

Back
Top Bottom