1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

MM preamp opinions needed

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by Head Tech, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Head Tech

Head Tech New Member

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here and just getting back into vinyl. I am running a technics sl 1200 mk2 with an ortofon 2m bronze into phono stage of my sansui rz9500 (at least 100w rms). I am debating purchasing a phono preamp. After watching and reading several reviews, I'm leaning toward the shiit mani or the Vincent pho-8. I chose these two for there reported open and wide sound stage and very quite background . Of course the Vincent is twice the price. Any thoughts on if its worth the price difference? Or big difference over sansui phone stage in amp? Sorry so long.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

I think that later model sansui is well-reviewed. Do some searches here to confirm it. I would doubt the phono stage in it is as good as the earlier sansuis but thats a total guess.

3. Head Tech

Head Tech New Member

Thanks slime.....much appreciated

4. Head Tech

Head Tech New Member

Hi Slimecity, I decided on the Schiit Mani phone preamp. I've heard it needs time to break in so to speak. I've been told when I had my crossovers recapped with film type caps that they needed time to break in and since those type caps are used in this preamp I guess that's the case. So far initial impression is deep tightened bass and instrument separation for what it's worth

slimecity likes this.