Mobo with PCI and SATA

markshan

Sir Thrift a Lot
My computer died. I am considering building a new one, but have what may be an unusual requirement. I need a motherboard that has PCI (NOT PCIe) for my E-Mu 1212 soundcard and SATA for my SSD hard drive. I have seen a few Core 2 Duo boards that have both, but am wondering if there is anything more modern that has the PCI slots. I'll be running Windows 7 (if it matters). That is the last OS for which my sound card has available drivers.

(BTW, I hope this is the right section. Mods please move if I got it wrong.) Thanks.

I guess this isn't as unusual as I anticipated. I thought PCI was ancient history. Thanks.

Well, Windows 7.0 cannot use the latest CPU's from either Intel or AMD. jes saying....
Good info. Define "latest". I would be thrilled to move up to an i3, as the one that died is a Core 2 Duo. What ones won't run 7? Thanks.

Probably the Razen(AMD) and i9, some i7(Intel)... but don't worry about it. those motherboards will work...If you need help just ask:thumbsup:
eBay seems to be loaded with i5-2400 quads at the $30 mark. It seems like one of those would work on the boards you suggest and they would also run 7. Does that seem like a good choice to you? I can't help but think it would be a huge upgrade over my current Core 2 Duo T6500.

eBay seems to be loaded with i5-2400
The CPU is for LGA1155 socket.... the motherboars has LGA1151.
For a more budget oriented combo we can look for a LGA1155 motherboard, it will have sata and PCI... and you can install a nice inexpensive processor.
Asus and Gigabyte are great options.

Last edited:
The CPU is for LGA1155 socket.... the motherboars has LGA1151.
For a more budget oriented combo we can look for a LGA1155 motherboard, it will have sata and PCI... and you can install a nice inexpensive processor.
Asus and Gigabyte are great options.
Thank you. I don't know how I missed that. You have been really helpful. I appreciate it.

That's a great motheboard... I really like it.
This is the list of CPU that you can use.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-P/HelpDesk_CPU/

Are you going to use video card? How is your PSU status?

I found one used but warrantied for $75. Seemed like a good deal to me. I'll just have to sell a couple more records. :D

I thought I would at least start with on board video, the most intensive thing I do is Audition (or maybe YouTube), but I'm open to upgrading down the road. I was hoping the PSU in my current Core2 case would be adequate.

Oki dokie... that sounds like a good plan. Nice deal on the motherboard and this processor (no affiliation) is a nice on budget option, and it has integrated video and low TDP., a SSD hard drive and you are set with upgradable capabilities. :thumbsup:
Oh and remember that this motherboard and processor needs DDR4 2133Mhz memory not DDR3.
This one will do it.
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Sing...&qid=1498084138&sr=1-2&keywords=8gb+ddr4+2133
The more the better :naughty:

Last edited:
I got a SSD as a gift recently. I hadn't yet got around to putting it into the box that just died.

I do no gaming or video editing. I surf the web and do needledrops. Again, I am upgrading from a Core2Duo (with 4G RAM IIRC, maybe 8). When functional, I had no issue with that setup other than boot time. That's why I wanted an SSD.

I just realized one issue with the board I found (warning: the PC enthusiast in you is going to hate this). There is no analog video. Yes, I still have a CRT.

Lots of great boards out there with PCI. I still use Delta 1010LT cards. ;) (That have had the caps replaced...)

Back
Top Bottom