Modafierri Mod: MR67 & MR71. Is it worth it?

Having a quality alignment is key on the tuners. Like a car they need periodic tune ups. This is part of the mod.
Ron-C

Audio Classics website gives a detail description of the mod. I liked getting the new RCA inputs.

A good alignment, replace caps in the audio path, just did a MR71 and it sounded better than when new, customer supplied the caps and I fit them in all for $100. I just feel that the Mods are a bit on the high side.

Originally posted by Number 9
Oh, I've seen the web page all right.

And the $600 quoted price! That's why I'm asking.

Ouch! I had mine done several years ago when is was $400.

I have an MR77 and was wondering about getting the Modafierri Mod while having it tuned up. My research revealed pros and cons, so I didn't have it done. Also, I felt it was pretty expensive. Without going into detail, after having a go with those folks, I ended up having McIntosh go through it. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I inquired at one time as to Audio Classics doing a simple spiff up. Was quoted by AC that an alignment and some minor upgrades (change of some caps and selenium rectifier) would run approx. $250-300. So there is quite a jump from there to the Modafierri Mod at $600. Other than the new plugs on the back, I really could not figure out what else came with the premium job.

In truth most of the older tuners could really benefit from an alignment and some cap replacements....maybe some opamp upgrades as well. I would be willing to bet you would see a significant performace upgrade. Is it worth it? I guess that all depends on how much radio you listen to.

I shelled out the extra money to get a professionaly upgraded and aligned tuner (a kenny 600t) and I consider it money well spent.

Originally posted by rhinofly
In truth most of the older tuners could really benefit from ... (an) upgrade. Is it worth it? I guess that all depends on how much radio you listen to.

No argument there.

Its just that is quite a price difference going from $250 to $600 for the Modafierri Mod.

Here is a picture of the MR71 that I just went over, only problem that I had was the size of the Jupiter caps. Oh what a beautiful sound, this is by far the best 71 I have listened to....

I'm sure it must be!!

I've heard some people changing all the caps and even some of the resistors. Would that be overkill?

Haven't had any problems with the original resistors, though some people think that the carbon comp resistors drift to much and are more noisy than metal films, I personally don't fix what isn't broke.
The only cap update needed is in the audio chain, 4 per channel, the rest are in the demux, and IF/RF sections, any changes there will cause problems.

"No argument there.

Its just that is quite a price difference going from $250 to $600 for the Modafierri Mod."

I am asking the same question.

I am in the process of acquiring a near mint MX-110 (to replace my good, but less than mint version of the same), and want to have it aligned, checked, and brought up to spec. I talked to Terry about this by email about a month ago, and I understand that Terry does very good work, but I am also curious just what the price difference gets you. I also figure that the MX-110 would be more than $600 restored by Richard, since it is a preamp AND tuner that is being updated.

Also, are there any recommended McIntosh service pros in Northern IL, Southern WI, or Iowa who I should consider for a workup on these - someone who knows Mc stuff inside and out???? The only reason I mention this is to avoid shipping. I know Terry and Richard both know thier stuff, but I would have to ship to them - and there are certainly risks associated there. It would be nice to avoid shipping, but if I must do that to get the best people for the job, then so be it.

My first post to the forum, BTW. Nice little cyberspace you've got going here:bigok:

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! :)

Hm, gets me thinking that somebody should email a link of this thread to audioclassics and Mr. Modafferi himself, to see if they can comment.....

I hired Terry Dewick to do the work on my MX-110, and he has finished the work. I plan to go down there, and meet my new unit....as well as Terry himself.

After researching the Modaferri Mod page at Audio Classics and talking to both shops, I felt I got more bang for the buck with Terry's work. I really didn't feel the need for the new jacks and so forth - and from the sound of Terry's report on the newly finished unit, it is delivering excellent performance. I can see how some would want the Modaferri mod...but not having heard a Modaferri modded 110, I felt more comfortable with what I was getting for what I invested.

I will certainly report my impressions of the new unit vs. the old.....and as I feel this will be a keeper, will have questions regarding any experience from those who have owned the unit.

It's going to be a long couple of weeks before I get down there:rolleyes: .......but I've got a feeling it will be worth the wait:yes:

Terry Dewick

Terry re-built an MC2205 for me that FedEx Ground must have dropped over 20 feet, on its face. It was the most totally trashed amp I've ever seen. Even the frame of the amp was bent.

When Terry and his associate finished repairing it (at FedEx's expense), it looked brand spanking new! I was amazed - It looked like a factory-fresh brand new amp.

You will not be disappointed with Terry's work!:D

Good for you. I'm going to ask Terry to do one of mine later this year. I would like to hear about your thoughts on the restoration
results when you can get to it. As often as I use the tuner the Mod mod would not be cost effective in the least especially with it's current perfomance. My tuners are never used for any critical listening also, pre and phono yes. :)

Carl

Back
Top Bottom