Modded my Epiphone Valve Junior amp.

gearhound

Lunatic Member
Hello people!!
Since it came out in 2005, the Epiphone Valve Junior has been THE low wattage tube amp of choice in the guitar world.
It has developed a serious cult-following with it's very low price and the ability to mod the daylights out of it!
Early version 1 amps had noise problems (AC hum) that were fixed in the version 2 amps that came out in 2006.
The 2007 version 3 amps are an improvement over the earlier versions with some additional component changes and a better matched output transformer.
I bought my version 2 head amp (comes as an 8" combo amp also) in early 2007 for $99 new (including shipping).
Many people (myself included) felt that Epiphone purposely put in questionable components (including a mismatched OT in versions 1 & 2) to cripple the amp as to not affect sales of its higher priced guitar amps.
Obviously, the easiest mod to do is upgrade the two (12ax7 & EL84) stock tubes....mine came with a Chinese 12ax7 and a Sovtek EL84.
The version 3 amps came with better tubes....EH 12ax7 & JJ EL84.
The JJ EL84 seems to be looked upon favorable, but many change out the EH 12ax7 for a Tung Sol RI 12ax7 tube.
I replaced my stock tubes with a 30% less gain NOS Sylvania 5751 tube (for more headroom) and a sweet-sounding NOS GE EL84 tube.
In the versions 1 and 2, Epiphone put in two 68K resistors (R1 & R2) that effectively cut gain 50% before even reaching the pre-amp tube?
In version 3, Epiphone changed the value of R1 to a more correct 1M ohm.
A common (and worthwhile) mod on the earlier 1 and 2 versions is to make R1 = 1M ohm and R2 = 10K ohm.....this mod alone greatly increases gain.
A MUST mod on versions 1 and 2 (even an improvement with version 3) is to replace the output transformer.
The Hammond 125 series seem to be the OT of choice.
Hammond 125CSE..................Good (1.3 lbs.)
Hammond 125DSE..................Better (2.0 lbs.)
Hammond 125ESE..................Best (3.0 lbs & barely fits)
Being a cheapskate (and lousy guitarist to boot) I put a Hammond 125CSE in my EV Junior.
The Hammond OT gives you a better frequency response and better bass than the stock (even version 3) output transformer.
So.........................
Upgrade the tubes
Install the correct value resistors in R1 and R2
Replace stock OT with Hammond 125 CSE/DSE/ESE OT
NOW.....it's a killer amp for under $200!!

Steve :banana:

Way to go Steve. :thmbsp:

I am a fan of the Epiphone amps as well.

I have the Blues Custom. I really liked the 2 12" speakers along with switchable amp section (15 or 30 watt).

I was turned on to these Epiphones by checking out all the YouTube videos of everyone modding them, just like you did.

Enjoy.

The "head" is a better amp than what's in the combo. Not only do you get more power supply filtration, but you have three output taps, instead of one fixed and better grade jacks. I upgraded/modded about a dozen of the combo amps last year for a local store, beefing up the p.s. caps, made a few changes to the preamp stage to brighten it up and added a voice switch to the front panel. They are great little amps and fun to mod.

Last edited:
I heard some people are changing out the stock OTs in the combo amps also?
The Edcor XSE-8-5K OT (8 ohm tap only) is supposed to be better than a Hammond 125CSE OT....at half the price (under $20)?

Steve

I've been seriously thinking of selling my stage rig since I don't use it anymore and this little amp may just be the ticket for noodling around the house. 90 tubed WPC is a bit of an overkill for home use, so I need to scale down.:D

After reading this thread, I'm talking to a local guy about this head and cab. If it sounds similar to my old Peavey Classic 20, which I stupidly sold years ago, I'll be very happy.

What do y'all think?

Attachments

• EPI1.jpg
    EPI1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 48
ALL the EV Jr. head amp version (2 & 3) have 3 speaker outputs (4, 8, & 16 ohms).
It's the COMBO amps (with a built-in 10" speaker) that have a single 8 ohm output.
You can tell the difference between the Version 2 and Version 3 EV Jr. head amps....by looking at the PCB.
Version 2 uses a Green PCB.
Version 3 uses a Black or Brown PCB.
Again, even it's an unmodded Version 2....it will still sound OK.
But for a few bucks and a couple of hours work....it's worth the time and money to mod it.

Steve

Sure is a cute little bugger, and it's dead mint, like new. It's a version III. The output transformer is 5.2 Kohms. I've got some work to do rearranging my gear before I hook it up. It appears to be very well built for what it is. I've got some decent tubes to roll into it, also. More to come...

epi1.jpg

epi2.jpg

I joined the Valve Junior Club too

I won an auction for the Valve Junior head on Ebay last week. It is the latest version, and according to the seller, was only used once or twice. It was a local seller to me, so I threw a pretty low bid on it, and much to my amazement, won the auction. I think it helped that the seller misspelled Epiphone.:D I got it today, and it looks mint. Now I need to get the matching speaker cab. Let's hope I come across one of those at a third of its retail too.:guitar: I've never owned any tube gear before, and don't care to kill myself working on it, so can someone point me to a good primer on working with tubes safely?

Very cool post and little amps.

I am planning on getting the BlackHeart BH5H as the BH1H is not out yet. It's most likely gonna be a few months but when I get it I'll post up about it and the mods.

The same guy that designed the Valve Jr. designed the Blackhearts and they are essentially the same amp.

Now I need to get the matching speaker cab. Let's hope I come across one of those at a third of its retail too.:guitar:

I found the matching speaker cab on Craig's List a couple days ago, and finally got a chance to play through this amp last night. I think my neighbors are going to hate me now. This thing sure gets loud:yikes:. Anyone try using an attenuator with their Valve Jr.? There is no way I'll ever be able to crank it enough in my house to get the distortion this thing produces when you turn it up, without a visit from the police, or a divorce. I think I'll have to investigate one of the small attenuators I've seen being sold for this amp. My other amp is a Roland Cube 15X, which has a "Power Squeezer" button, that reduces the amps output from 15W to 2W, while maintaining the tone. I need something like this for the Epiphone now too.

I love the retro looks of this little half-stack. It sure looks pretty sitting there in my living room.:guitar:

Thanks for the links. The tips will help a newbie like me.:D

Here is my favorite tip:

"You could be playing harp with Jimi and Janis immediately upon contact with many parts in your amp."

Another newbie question...

Can I safely take the signal from the "recording/headphone" output of my Roland Cube 15x into the input of my Valve Junior head? One of the reviews of the Cube 15x on the Muscian's Friend site said they used this set-up. In effect, I'd be useing the Roland as a pre-amp for the Valve Junior. I'm interested in using some of the Roland's built-in distortion effects through the Valve Jr., but don't want to damage anything. The output from the Roland can be used for headphones, which I do, or to send the signal to a mixer for recording, etc.. I don't know enough about this stuff, being new to it all, to know if I can safely do what I'm proposing.

Back
Top Bottom