Richs_Trains

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has a resource for re-lettering a Model 18. Mine has both some dial numbers out and faceplate lettering. I know sign shops use computers to generate a vinyl type sign that is cut to specifications, just wondering if anyone has had their 18 or 19 re-lettered, and if so, by what process. Thanks Rich

You can get the dial glass from 2 sources that I know of..

Sound classic

Radio Daze

Monkboughtlunch has good experience with the radio daze glass. I have used the sound classic glass and it's OK but I suspect the Radio Daze is better. Good LED lights is nice too.

I could not find a replacement for the face plate. Stay tuned......

Actually I was the customer that gave RadioDaze the 18 template to redo the dial silk screen. My claim to fame.

Still contact Radiodaze about the faceplate lettering. I think they have decal kits that may work.

Since no one made this part I decided to have a small batch made for my stash of 18's. I may have a few left over. Just waiting to receive them....

30874907183_b1c58fd271_b.jpg

31539111362_c1184aab9e_b.jpg

Since no one made this part I decided to have a small batch made for my stash of 18's. I may have a few left over. Just waiting to receive them....
Txturbo, thank you! Don't really know what I'm looking at but I'm in. Are you making decals or the metal plates? In any case, if it fixes my 18, then put me on your list for any extras!!! Thanks Rich

Txturbo, thank you! Don't really know what I'm looking at but I'm in. Are you making decals or the metal plates? In any case, if it fixes my 18, then put me on your list for any extras!!! Thanks Rich

Replacement anodized and silk screened plates.

Replacement anodized and silk screened plates.
Yes!, Yes! let me know when you get them and how much. Very cool, with new glass and these, it will look like new!

Don't suppose you have any contacts for doors/covers on a Marantz SC-7, SC-9, SM-7, SM-9, I have two units missing the doors/covers. I saw someone on AK made one out of plastic and it looked pretty good, but the real thing (copy) would be very nice.

Thanks again Txturbo Would really like to visit Austin, hear it is full of things to do. Rich

Yes!, Yes! let me know when you get them and how much. Very cool, with new glass and these, it will look like new!

Don't suppose you have any contacts for doors/covers on a Marantz SC-7, SC-9, SM-7, SM-9, I have two units missing the doors/covers. I saw someone on AK made one out of plastic and it looked pretty good, but the real thing (copy) would be very nice.

Thanks again Txturbo Would really like to visit Austin, hear it is full of things to do. Rich

Hopefully I will have some soon. The design has been at the machine shop for a while. I was only going to do 10 sets but maybe I will do a few more.

The silkscreen on the 18 was not very good and anything other than moderate cleaning seems to remove it. On the glass if you so much as touch the lettering it comes off.

I don't have any of the SC parts but if you have an example making a drawing would not be too hard.

I don't have any of the SC parts but if you have an example making a drawing would not be too hard.

Txturbo, I have one door, I can send it to you, but you have to promise to send it back (I had to buy a trashed unit just to get the one door). PM me your info and I'll send it over to Texas. Thanks Rich

Txturbo, I have one door, I can send it to you, but you have to promise to send it back (I had to buy a trashed unit just to get the one door). PM me your info and I'll send it over to Texas. Thanks Rich

It's probably best that you take the part to a local machine shop and see if they can make it for you. You could also try Radio Daze.. they do low volume stuff.

Last edited:
It's probably best that you take the part to a local machine shop and see if they can make it for you.
Thank you, but not really an option for me as my wife has Alzheimer's and leaving the house (and even being on the phone) is very stressful for her. I do pretty much everything I can online. I will try to talk with RadioDaze and see if they can help. Thanks again..Rich

Last edited:
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has a resource for re-lettering a Model 18. Mine has both some dial numbers out and faceplate lettering.

Marantz 18 aftermarket dial glass comparison

I wanted to share a comparative review of Marantz 18 aftermarket dial glass options and their authenticity versus the original 1960s Marantz dial glass.

Background: The original Marantz 18 dial glass paint is notorious for being fragile and can flake off during cleaning. My original glass had significant residue. Assuming it was not salvageable, I purchased two aftermarket dial glasses (Sounds Classic and Radio Daze) to see which was superior. Fortunately, the residue on the original dial glass came off during gentle cleaning without incident and the paint remained intact. So I had the opportunity to compare all three side by side.

The two aftermarket dial glass reproductions examined are:
The images below are from top to bottom:
  • Sounds Classic
  • Radio Daze
  • Original Marantz OEM dial glass (late 1960s)
Observations:

Sounds Classic glass — These have incorrect registration - the white arrows pointing to the scope tube green line and circle are misaligned. The font used for the numerals is significantly different and much larger than the originals. In addition, the aliasing (smoothing) of the text edges is poor, resulting is rough, jagged text edges. The green arrows below the numerals are much smaller than the original. The green color seems to have too much blue vs the original hunter green.

Radio Daze glass - The font type and size is much more authentic to the original Marantz dial glass (but is not quite 100% accurate). The registration of the white arrows and line / circle for the scope is correctly aligned; however, white is used for the line and circle instead of green as per the original. The numerals are more accurate than the Sounds Classic. It should be noted that the “1s” (e.g. 108, 106, etc) are too short in height. Aliasing is a bit fuzzy around the edges. The green color is much closer to the original hunter green than the Sounds Classic dial. (Note: when viewing the glass from the back, the green color is not visible only the grey adhesive backing. When viewing from the front, the green is visible).

In conclusion, salvaging the original dial glass is the best option as the original painted dial has better color (hunter green), registration and aliasing vs the two aftermarket options. I was able to clean my dial by damping a microfiber cloth and gently blotting the residue away.

In the event that the original dial is missing lettering and cannot be salvaged, the Radio Daze dial glass is a more accurate and superior reproduction than the Sounds Classic dial. But at twice the price of the Sounds Classic dial, the Radio Daze dial should be more faithful and accurate than it is.

18_Mdial.jpg

Marantz_18_dial_glass_compare_1.jpg

Below is a photo of the Radio Daze dial from the front showing the green color is closer to the original than the Sounds Classic dial.

Marantz_DG046__26545.1446649594.1280.1280.jpg

Marantz 18 aftermarket dial glass comparison
Wow, ask and you shall receive on AK, Thanks Monkboughtlunch (soft parade :banana:) and txturbo for all the great info, looks like the extra $ is worth it. I have not worked on any Marantz' this old, any tips on how to easily remove the faceplate (I haven't really taken a good look yet, but I did see quite a few of the dial numbers collected in the tray below the dial) as it is very different than 70's units. I am going to assemble all the cosmetic pieces and then take it apart. Any help is much appreciated! Rich

model_18_1.jpg
model_18_2.jpg

Removing the face plate is simple.

Take the top cover off the receiver.

Use a 1/16 allen wrench and remove the knobs.

Carefully pull the scope knobs off, they may be a bit hard to remove but they do come off.

Prop up the receiver from below so the face is free.

Use a deep socket and remove the nuts around the shafts for the knobs.

The face should come off.

Wow, ask and you shall receive on AK, Thanks Monkboughtlunch (soft parade :banana:) and txturbo for all the great info, looks like the extra $ is worth it. I have not worked on any Marantz' this old, any tips on how to easily remove the faceplate (I haven't really taken a good look yet, but I did see quite a few of the dial numbers collected in the tray below the dial) as it is very different than 70's units. I am going to assemble all the cosmetic pieces and then take it apart. Any help is much appreciated! Rich

View attachment 836723
View attachment 836724

To take off the faceplate, you will want to remove the top metal black mesh cover. Then use an allen wrench to remove the six aluminum knobs on the faceplate -- and pull off the two tiny aluminum knobs for the scope.

I prefer the look of white LEDS for the dial glass (vs the original incandescent bulbs which give off an ugly yellow hue).

I tried the white Eiko (#05742) LEDs and they've been completely reliable and look great. I think the Eiko's are actually designed for automobiles so they appear to be quite robust (due to the temperature extremes and vibration that cars experience.)

The first picture below is with the original OEM incandescent bulbs. The second pic is with the white Eiko LEDs. I think I bought my Eiko LEDs from an Amazon.com supplier.

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

Last edited:

30874907183_b1c58fd271_b.jpg

31539111362_c1184aab9e_b.jpg

These look great! The font type looks different than the originals.

I found this article online about the font type Marantz used. Not sure how accurate the article is, but it claims Metropolis and Davison Spencerian are the fonts Marantz used.

https://fontsinuse.com/uses/4675/marantz-receivers-1970s

"Many of the control labels on these 1970s-era Marantz receivers are set in Metropolis, the typeface from which the custom Marantz logo is presumably derived.

The extra frilly type (by audio equipment standards) used for the model label and “Stereophonic Receiver” is Davison Spencerian, a script from the Photo-Lettering library that was recently digitized by Mitja Miklavčič and the PLINC team at House Industries. The digital version has a conventially cursive ‘r’ form but I assume there was an alternative romanesque ‘r’ available in the film type days.

The use of these two typefaces goes all the way back to the company’s founding in 1952 when Saul Marantz launched the Consolette. "

These look great! The font type looks different than the originals.

I found this article online about the font type Marantz used. Not sure how accurate the article is, but it claims Metropolis and Davison Spencerian are the fonts Marantz used.

https://fontsinuse.com/uses/4675/marantz-receivers-1970s

"Many of the control labels on these 1970s-era Marantz receivers are set in Metropolis, the typeface from which the custom Marantz logo is presumably derived.

The extra frilly type (by audio equipment standards) used for the model label and “Stereophonic Receiver” is Davison Spencerian, a script from the Photo-Lettering library that was recently digitized by Mitja Miklavčič and the PLINC team at House Industries. The digital version has a conventially cursive ‘r’ form but I assume there was an alternative romanesque ‘r’ available in the film type days.

The use of these two typefaces goes all the way back to the company’s founding in 1952 when Saul Marantz launched the Consolette. "
Wow! Someone has done their homework. Great info! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom