Model 9s in the Collection

Thanks One Mug...

Which do you prefer ? Triode or UL.... depends on speakers and listening levels ...?

Doing some back to back now....

jk

Huge congrats on your 9's. I've had mine for almost 2 yrs now with no signs of the "honeymoon phase" coming to an end...ever.

Haven't listened to the XF2's that Crooner likes so much, maybe some day. My favorites are the SED Winged C's. I also use them in my 8 and 8b.

There was no mention of this in my 9's owner manual, but you should NOT flip the 'Triode/UL' switch while the amps are on. Pick one before you turn them on. I thank Crooner for pointing that out to me.

Happy listening. :thumbsup:

congrats on the 9's :thumbsup: +1 on the mullard double getter xf2's thats what ive been using. the single getter xf2 and xf3 are good as well. if you want something a little less costly RFT el34 are good they made them for siemens as well. i use Mullard 10M 6DJ8 / ECC88 Master Series and RCA 6CG7 also. i pair mine in full mode with ohm 4's and thats what sounds best to me. but triode with my cheviots or ohm 2XO's is pretty nice. my recapped 8B sounded better then the 9's to me ( just got them a few months ago) tired old caps im sure so they are in getting restored right now, one is done so i should have them back soon.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris and to others that provided congrats & info & encouragement....

Just tried UL with the Walsh 4s and when back to the 70w... Interesting on the recap.... Age is catching up with them, although the caps they used in the 60's units were seemingly a high quality interns of durability and sonics. Seems to me that in the 70's, miniaturization and cost won out over sheen sonic quality.... then over time cap sonics improved.

I am hoping not to have to recap these, as they seemed to have been used sparingly... least judging by the physical condition of switches, knobs, screws and such.... Guess at some point I need to ESR test the caps...

I wonder if anyone has messed around with adjusting the Damping Factor.... the Manuals indicates a range and component changes for it... The Walsh 4 are very AMP friendly with very light weight cones VS the Fs that very heavy cones and require tons of Damping, which makes the 500 ideal for them. I am not even going the try the Fs on the 9s, I have run them on low DF amps and the bass sounded muddy and the Amp ran very hot trying to control the Fs.

Hope to see and hear more on your Recapped 9s....

thanks,
Johnk

Hope to see and hear more on your Recapped 9s..

The majority of people i discussed it with said i should /or they have left them original, works of art, resale or what ever, but for me its all about the sound and mine sounded great but didnt make me say WOW not once and they should have. My model 18 sounded great when i got it same as the 9's did but i decided to have it recapped and when i got it back my jaw hit the ground at how much better it sounded better detail tighter bass just everything and all i could say was WOW over and over and i want the same from the 9's and i know its in them just waiting to come out. Dave Olson at HIFI Sound who does my tube work and who i think is superb sent me a pic of the first one. he said it is outputting 85 watts. i decided after a lot of thought to have the big can caps under mounted and keep the original look on top. here is a pic

20171206_183925.jpg
20171206_183925.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Chris for posting..... Very Interesting! By the way what good is a hanger queen that does not work correctly... So I follow you on the recap.

And by the way, I had started to build my own 9s a while back, but a few issues got in my way. Actually it was a big block LS6 convertible Corvette project that got in the way, but thats another story.... I plan on starting model 9 project again very soon. They are going to be 95% cosmetically correct. I have correct chassis, face plates, knobs, covers and bottoms....

The toughest item to cosmetically dup is the...? The meter.... But I will be close. I have a set of VAC 8b meters and a set of white face 9 meter covers. Also have beauty rings for around the meters.

I even have correct wafer test switches.....

I bought a lot not all of the hardware parts years ago from someone selling off VAC nos parts. Sourced a lot else where...

I had the transformers made.... I had the external PS caps made, not 100% cosmetically correct, but correct size , specs and twist mount....

Have turret boards ready to drill.... Correct terminal strips, tube sockets, switches, switch booty covers, fuse holders, transformer covers, silver/Teflon wire, screws, correct trim pots...on & on...

I was planing on a building limited number of kits...and will stil do it if people are interested.

Any one want tag a along? Could use the help! This is not an easy project as you might guess.... Will post a pic later today.

One of the reasons of buying these 9s was to kick me in the ass on building my own and to have first experience with them.

Will they be exact? No.... But a boat load of fun and very educational.....

Johnk

Last edited:
im not a tech guy but it sounds like a great project. @crooner is probably a good one to get advice from. you dont happen to have an extra boot that holds the power cord into the chassis by any chance? one of mine is missing

The 90* strain relief? My project chassis uses the iec socket. But you should be able to find strain relief...

Jk

Last edited:
Which do you prefer ? Triode or UL.... depends on speakers and listening levels ...?

I prefer the UL by a small margin. It may be because I have a 300b SET amp that I use (same room/same speaker) and get my fill of triode sound that way. Being a person who loves the SET sound, I was very surprised how much I liked the 8/8b/9 sound.

I've had my 7c and 7t hooked up to my 8b and am happy with the sound. Never had the 7t hooked up to the 9's. Real happy with the 7c/9 combo.

thanks didnt know what they are called now i do

Just do an eBay search on 90 strain relief

They look correct. Bet they could be found else where too.

They are being sold in lots of 10.... If you buy the lot I would go for two of them....

Last edited:
I prefer the UL by a small margin. It may be because I have a 300b SET amp that I use (same room/same speaker) and get my fill of triode sound that way. Being a person who loves the SET sound, I was very surprised how much I liked the 8/8b/9 sound.

I've had my 7c and 7t hooked up to my 8b and am happy with the sound. Never had the 7t hooked up to the 9's. Real happy with the 7c/9 combo.

The 7t that I used with the 9s was very clean in good shape... But all stock caps. They can do so much better with new caps and some up grades. But the 7c sounds better than a good stock 7t. A modified 7t can keep up with a 7c in many ways... They each end up with different strengths. Super flat/clean vs warn/rich details.... Tastes great .... Less filling or is it the other way around?

They each end up with different strengths

Agree. I've had my 7c for over 10 yrs. One day, on a lark, I tried it with my "modern" Pass amp (class A SS) and came away with the opinion that the 7c is a very special preamp.

When I got the 7t a few yrs ago, It seemed like it went out to the freq extremes more (tastes great) and that the 7c owned the midband (less filling) :).

Just sharing...I really like the RCA Cleartop in the 6cg7 positions.

they are for a 1/2 inch hole that seems a bit big to me but i will check what the hole is and get them if they fit. thanks

Hmmm.... Only way to find out is to "Measure twice, cut once...." Let me know what what you find... If they fit ... I would team up with you on the lot of 20...

johnk

Do people have a preference to Keep the Tube Cages on or off for the Model 9s.... ? I have run both ways on other amps.... But wondering what preferences you have on a Model 9.

Tube cage on - Upside: Better protection from hot tubes or dropping something on the tubes.... Better noise shielding. Downside: Higher heat... More difficult to roll tubes ( if that is the game u are playing.... )

Tube cage off - Upside: Lower heat. Easier Tube access. Down Side: less protection from heat or dropping something. Less electric noise shielding....

Your thoughts....?
johnk

Cages off for me. I do notice the input stages are more prone to noise from cellphones or other RFI generating devices nearby...

Back
Top Bottom