Model 9s in the Collection

:lurk:...Will be following this thread..My parts for 7T are on backorder. Have a incoming Luxman C-1010 (that will be Recapped) for the M-2000.
Sad to see the 7T on the side for now....But I need to keep the Soldering Iron Hot.

Fat boy Sylvania 6CA7 made on the same beam tetrode tooling as their 6550. Excellent tubes. Eddie Van Halen's favorite, I believe.

Well two weeks in, complete tube replacement and just minor cleaning of the face plates... Some tube rolling for the small signal tubes yet to come in the weeks ahead... Need to deoxit the sockets at some point, but they look pretty clean.

Usually I can find something I don't like with new to me used gear.... I mean these things are over 50 years old....

But these things are simply right on the money..... I can't find a single thing I would change or I don't like about them.

Wow ...did they get it right back then and still today....

Well two weeks in, complete tube replacement and just minor cleaning of the face plates... Some tube rolling for the small signal tubes yet to come in the weeks ahead... Need to deoxit the sockets at some point, but they look pretty clean.

Usually I can find something I don't like with new to me used gear.... I mean these things are over 50 years old....

But these things are simply right on the money..... I can't find a single thing I would change or I don't like about them.

Wow ...did they get it right back then and still today....

apparently they didnt get it right on all of them, Dave Olson the tech restoring mine found that the phase switch in one of them was wired backwards and it looked like it was done when they were made. so they were out of phase probably part of why they never sounded right to me i just figured it was tired caps. he is finished now so i will never know how they sounded originally now but i am looking forward to hearing them restored when i get them on Tuesday.

Well on mine, the strain reliefs seem to be intentionally loose and float in the chassis to allow to them rotate some....

So that size might actually work for you.

Also will double check the phase wiring, but the bass seems spot on so I am thinking its good.

But that sure would hurt sonics....

Thanks for posting that, guess it was the switch that was backwards...
Johnk

after measuring the strain reliefs turned out to be to small.

View attachment 1072987

Phase miswire would confuse many users with poor imaging and low end response. It would doubly confuse attempts to restore proper acoustic polarity. An experienced auditioner may be able to do both by ear, regardless of switch position marking.

I have run in to speakers that have the VCs installed incorrectly... Which has the same affect. Because of the that...I also test by full right and full left turns of the balance and listen closely to the bass... If it seems to increase ...phasing issue.

Also standing closer to one speaker will uncover the issue.

But phase issues will drive you nuts....

Jk

Went to RCA 6CG7 Clear Tops....in place of the Electro Harmonix that I had hanging around.... :rockon:

The clear tops made a noticeable improvement over the EHs....

Well currently using Philips 6922 ---- Mil spec 6DJ8...I used to use them in a DAC and had a stack.

I have more than a hand full of Telefunken 6DJ8s that I need to sort through and match them up to get a set of 4.

I really can say either way yet on the Philips vs the Telefunkens in the model 9s.... But in my DAC, I actually prefer Siemens PCC88s over the Telefunkens or Philips, which are actually 7DJ8s and I raise up the heater voltage. Staying with 6DJ8 in the model 9s....

Haven't rolled the Telefunken 6DJ8s into the model 9s yet... more to come....

johnk

Haven't rolled the Telefunken 6DJ8s into the model 9s yet.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the Tele's in your 9's. I love their 12ax7's in my 7c.

I'm using Amperex's in my 9's and very happy with them. Might try some Tele's sometime.

im using Valvo 7308's right now in the 9's and they sound really good. i really like the Mullard 10M 6DJ8' s that came with them but one was noisy so i put in the Valvos. i just ordered a pair from Brent Jesse so i should have those back in this weekend and can compare them. i have a quad of philips 6922 SQ but one of those is noisy as well so im on the hunt for one of those now then i can give those a try. im really having bad luck as 2 of the 4 Amperex i have were noisy too. i brought all the tubes in while iwas having the 9's restored and had the microphonics checked.

Well just tested all my 6DJ8 Telefunkens.... picked two and put them in one amp. Put the pre on mono....

Went back to the Philips.... The Tele's are seemingly darker.... which is what I noticed in my DAC too.... Really did not like the Tele PCC88s either in the DAC. But the Siemens PCC88s are winners and seem to last for ever ( knock wood ) in the DAC.

I do have rubber tube dampers on the Philips 6922s....

Not too scientific.... but is what my ears told me.

The RCA Clear Top 6CG7 definitely have magic in them ....

I like the Telefunken12AX7 smooth plates in the 7C also, those are keepers....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom