Model Eleven III cleanup

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by ranukic, May 28, 2018.

1. ranukic

ranukic AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey,

I picked up one off of ebay for $300.00 plus shipping. The condition is really good with only one scratch on the wood that I am confident can be touched up pretty easily. I opened it up and from what I see it was really pampered with care just a little dust. There are caps on a couple of the boards that have puked so I will replace all of the electrolytic capacitors in the next few weeks when I have time. The volume pot needs some cleaning so I will deoxit the pots and points. I am really excited about this find and can't wait to have it producing music.

One question I do have is what are your thoughts on replacing the lamps with LED's? I wasn't able to find anyone on Ebay with a LED kit for this amp...all the lights are currently working so should replace them now while I am working on the caps or should I hold off?

It also came with the original operation manual.

Thanks,
    James

IMG_0806.JPG IMG_0805.JPG

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ranukic

I put together a CAP list from the boards.

Attached Files:

3. oldboats

oldboats Active Member

Nice buy and thank you for contributing the cap list!
    I cannot say for this model specifically, but I have a KR-9050 with LEDs and I hate the way it looks. That said, it is hard to argue with the lower power draw, lower heat and subsequently less heat damage that come with LEDs.
    I think it would be worth doing it, but try a few variations with color and brightness if you can, see what looks "right".

4. ranukic

Here is what I ended up with. Bummer is LED’s eliminate the dimmer feature.

I like the sound of this receiver a lot.

37EC7936-A661-465E-B638-C08472D4FF6E.jpeg 47BC3EA4-6BC6-4CD9-9F3A-ECED38D7C5A2.jpeg

oldboats and gort69 like this.
  5. JAL413

JAL413 New Member

The dimmer doesn't work because the resistors in the dimmer circuit on the power supply board don't have much of an effect on the low current LEDs. You could snip wire 13 and add a resistor (don't know what value would be best) to make the dimmer work again. What LEDs did you use for the meters?

upload_2018-8-2_9-57-13.png

Here's mine newly finished. I haven't bothered with the dimmer.

upload_2018-8-2_9-58-14.jpeg

ranukic likes this.