Modem and router

Thankfully my stuff is now on a different circuit, on another floor of the house. With that and the conditioner (which wasn't cheap), things are nice and clean in the system. :)
Good deal! My music server and network gear is likewise located on another floor than the music system.

I run the computer first through a UPS and then a Tripp Lite to minimize grunge being put on the AC line.

The biggest issue with the proliferation of SMPSs is the mains waveform distortion they are causing to the grid as a whole. This is rarely discussed.

You can use a lovely linear supply, but the waveform coming out of the secondary of the transformer is just a smaller replica of the messed up one that is going in. With routers, they have multiple on board DC-DC converters running at 30KHz+ in addition to their WiFi, all of which contribute to the mess of EMI we surround ourselves with these days.

If you've ever wondered why transformers hum more than they once did, particularly toroidals, it's often caused by DC offset on the mains. DC blockers make a phenomenal difference to sensitive gear. My entire test bench and all the instruments are run through DC blocking and various filters.

Unfortunately, the only real solution is to re-generate your own mains from a pure sinewave sourced inverter, locally and run our gear from its own line.

I am reading all these knowledgeable replies with a keen interest. Just when I read " HD-Plex linear" is the way to go to power the modem and router, Then I read ,"Unfortunately, the only real solution is to re-generate your own mains from a pure sinewave sourced inverter, locally and run our gear from its own line" which of course I can't understand, I'm thinking my best solution is to just turn the modem and router off, and the fluorescence lights and cell phone chargers.
But I hope this thread stays alive with all the good advise.

The "turn 'em off" solution will become difficult when she returns home and wants to surf while you listen...

:(

That's why you should buy CD's. They sound better and also support the artist.

I've more CD's and SACD's than I can say grace over. And sometimes when I'm not streaming I play them on players like the Marantz SA8004, Sony SCD-CE595, and Rotel RCD-855.

Coltrane is dead, so he aint getting my my money anyhow. Stream Away.

Eric
Mozart is also dead, but I still buy recordings of his music. There are a lot of people required in the making of music, and I like to support them. The musicians/producers/recording studios/ distribution labels/ etc. Just my choice.

Something that may be forgot in this conversation about streaming is that most of us here have hundreds, even thousands of purchased physical/downloaded copies of music. It's more than likely we have supported artist and the industry quite well through the years.

Also, seems to me that streaming, while different, is a lot like how we listened to radio. I know when I stream music and hear something I like I purchase a copy. Not much different than what I did while listening to the radio. Even now people listen to the radio and stream and will never purchase a copy of anything they listen to.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited:
I believe I may have found the solution to this problem! Like somebody here said, It's all well and good turning off the modem and router while listening to music until the wife gets back home. After supper is when I listen to music and that's the time she gets on her phone, so having the modem off went over like a fart in church. So my solution was to get a portable power "jump starter/ Power inverter, like the one here.

https://www.my12voltstore.com/Produ...MI9MicrN_p2AIVkYSzCh0v-gTaEAQYAiABEgJWKPD_BwE

For $80 it is perfect for my needs. You plug it into the wall and charge up its batteries. It has a power inverter in it, so you can plug the modem into that, and then run the modem & router off of the battery pack, and not your AC.
I only listen to music and have my rig on from 7:30 to 9:00PM every night, and so if the batteries can run the modem and router for a few days between re-charge, this is my perfect solution.

My wife thought I was nuts, but I'll tell you this. If I spent $3,000 for a better CD player or better IC's and got this much improvement in sound quality, I'd be very satisfied indeed. And this only cost $80.

Back
Top Bottom