Modern system revisited

lightcapture

Newest version of my system as follows:

Mystere IA-11 EL34 tube amp (from Norway, designed by PrimaLuna)
Paragon Radiant transmission-line speakers (upgraded w/ Seas Froy mk3 components)

Thorens TD-203 turntable w/ uni-pivot tonearm
Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge w/ nude elliptical stylus
Schiit Audio Mani (MM/MC) phono preamp

Yamaha BD-S677 universal BluRay player (future upgrades to add stand alone DAC)
FiiO D3 DAC (from Sony HDTV optical output)
Rotel RT940ax '90s FM/AM tuner

room 3307.jpg
rack front3415.jpg
amp R-3411.jpg
turntable left DSCF3289.jpg
tonearm unipivot DSCF3279.jpg
cartridge front DSCF3261.jpg
player:tuner3302.jpg
speaker3421.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all. It takes some time to assemble an audiophile system when looking for value and quality.
Now I have to clean out the chimney for Santa (ie. wife) to bring the Schiit Mani phono stage.

Last edited:
Thanks all. It takes some time to assemble an audiophile system when looking for value and quality.
Now I have to clean out the chimney for Santa (ie. wife) to bring the Schiit Mani phono stage.
Agreed. The difficult parts are the mistakes you make along the way in assembling the system. You have certainly done a good job of it.

Thanks nightwisher and imral3.
So true dpdatl, lots of buying and selling along the way. Nibbling away at it and I'm quite pleased with the sound. Expecting a noticeable step up with vinyl when I upgrade the phono preamp. Next hurdle will be to address CD playback, but that will be sometime down the road.

My lovely wife gave me a Schiit Audio Mani phono preamp for Christmas to replace my entry level Behringer pp400. It will be many albums later that its broken in and I have a good handle on the sound. After being power up overnight and playing 2 albums this morning initial noticeable improvements include better bass, dynamics, rhythm, separation of the instruments, and clarity.
https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

For a tube based system sound is almost Linn-like w/ amazing PRaT from my memory of a Linn system I had many years ago.

Last edited:
I added a well-kept preowned Panamax Max 5100 surge/brown-out protector. I plug everything into it except tube amp, which is plugged directly to the wall outlet.
I was surprise that it cleaned up the sound too.
turntable.jpeg

We also sold our Italian leather sofa, and will be looking for a craftsman style sofa to replace it. This a new photo of our living room w/o a sofa.
living room.jpeg

And here is a photo of the system itself.
full system.jpeg
rack right.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice gear. Are those the SEAS drivers with magnesium cones?

Also, nice looking room. Not that I usually notice such things, but really like that rug.

View attachment 1426196

Good eye. They are indeed the Seas Excel magnesium drivers, purchased as the Seas Froy mk3 kit from Madisound.
As far as the room thanks for you positive feedback. I feel a comfortable esthetically pleasing system and environment enhance the listening experience...at least for me it does.

That is a great phono stage I have two and love them. Huge bang for the buck.
I agree and I'm amazed how much better it is than my previous Behringer pp400, and how much better vinyl sounds than even quality vintage systems I've had in the past. Definitely a keeper. LPs surpass the sound of cds in my system by a large margin.

Back
Top Bottom