Modern vs the Classics: Is speed control needed these days?

JPShots

So I currently have an LP-60. I know its not a great unit and have been in the process of upgrading. Right now I the speed is off to where I can completely tell that the pitch of the song is off without any reference. So now that led me down the path of looking at turntables that strictly have speed control with the calibrated platter dots. But now I'm starting to question if that's really even important with today's technology, for instance, the Orbit seems to be very well respected and is super stripped down, as with Audio Technica's most $700 LP7 and all of Denon's tables.

Right now, I could buy a Technics SLQ303 for $250 on CL, an SL 2000 for $200, Or a Sansui FR-Q5 for 100 on CL. All of which have speed control.

Or I can buy a brand new custom Orbit that looks super sexy for $250, with a OM5E and cue arm.

I don't think speed control is necessary. My turntables have it, but honestly if they didn't, I'd never know if they were running a bit fast or a bit slow.
If I were buying an Orbit, I wouldn't worry about speed control.

Your LP60 is another issue. My wife had one of those turntables when we were first dating (it was badged as an Aiwa) and it ran way too fast. Might be a common issue with that particular design.

JPShots, you have come to the right place for input regarding turntables. The LP60 is a starter table most would agree. You have a good ear obviously and can hear the speed is off. Some of what you may be hearing is the speed not staying constant, which can be an issue in less expensive tables.

I have both kinds of tables, one has the adjustable speed with the dots on the rim of the platter, and the other not. Not a big difference for me.

You are right on with the ORBIT, I have no doubt its speed will be right on or near what it should be. Get the Turntabulator app for your phone and check the speeds, it's pretty accurate.

You will get a lot of input here, and a lot will say get a good vintage, such as some you have listed. The most important thing is to get a good one that sounds good to you and start spinning some vinyl.

Cheers

part 2 of this one is: Old V New. It's pretty easy to agree that the older amps are better than the new ones unless you shell out crazy money (I found a Yamaha cr-620 for $75)...

But does this apply to turntables? It seems like the technologies might have advanced over the decades.

JPS: Operating principles haven't really changed with modern technology, so whether speed control circuitry is necessary at all and, if so, how complex it needs to be, still depends on both the particular design as such and the intended/desired level of wow & flutter performance.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

part 2 of this one is: Old V New. It's pretty easy to agree that the older amps are better than the new ones unless you shell out crazy money (I found a Yamaha cr-620 for $75)...

But does this apply to turntables? It seems like the technologies might have advanced over the decades.

Technology have advance a great deal since the direct drive peak days of the 1980's.

Strobe markings first appear on direct drive units to show off their accuracy, pretty well established and not much needed today.

Buy the good looking but first listen to them and make sure that they sound as good as as they look!

Enjoy!:music:

The Orbit isn't "today's technology". It's very old technology and performs objectively worse than many older turntables w/r/t speed accuracy + wow and flutter. Just because something is "new" doesn't mean it's not made using "old technology". The Orbit, like a lot of current entry level belt-drive decks, is a fairly primitive piece of equipment.

I've also been looking at the Pro-Ject Tables. They seem to make tables from pretty affordable to very expensive!

Some of the modern turn table uses a long single run of tone arm and headshell wiring instead of separate user replaceable headshell wiring with separate tone arm wiring.

Stay away from that type of design if you like to swap cartridges.

As a newbie in this world, i'm not fully sure on this sort of thing, but it looks like the Orbit, and the lower end Pro-Ject Tables have this design, am i correct on that?

As I see it, speed accuracy and steadiness is job #1 for a turntable. ..I want a middle C to sound like a middle C, and not fluctuate b/w C-Sharp and C-flat.

On this forum people opine endlessly on upgrading tonearms, cartridge, platter mat, cables, etc.... ..But none of these (if working and adjusted properly) matter half as much as speed accuracy.

This is one of the reasons I gravitate to direct-drive.

Two words: Quartz Lock :)

so you would suggest the Sansui FR-Q5 or the Technics SLQ303 over the Orbit for that reason... I don't really even care that much about the consistency that quartz seems to offer, as much as general accuracy. If that makes sense. If it fluctuates ever so slightly I'm not worried. My LP-60 is bad enough to where when I listen to it, its noticeably off without any reference comparison or testing.

And for that matter, the LP-120 is modern and has a quartz lock built in- but I don't need or want the preamp.

I would not go for the Sansui - not from the age of the good Sansui stuff and if I recall correctly the automatic 'computer controlled' functions can be problematic.

The Technics would be a decent turntable, but I can't recommend it at that price. SL-2000 is overpriced too. I'd be more included to decide to spend a bit more and look for a SL-1700 original or Mk2 or, if a manual table isn't an issue, a SL-1800 original or Mk2. The Mk2 versions get you the same tonearm and (essentially) electronics as the SL-1200 and that includes quartz lock ... with speed adjust.

Of course pricing depends on condition, service performed and cartridge fitted / age of stylus.

Certainly there are many users of new turntables that are happy with the performance. I think that some of the issues perpetuated in the forums regarding the Orbit are a result of teething pains when the turntable was new ... they've been addressed. We've seen movement (finally) on some of the other brands out there, like the AT-LP120 with re-design of the anti-skate ... but other issues remain to be resolved, like tonearm bearings and built-in pre-amp. I think Denon and Teac finally resolved azimuth issues ... by discontinuing the offending turntable.

I'd be inclined to go the Orbit route - their customer service seems to be really good / made in the USA / warranty, etc.

If you could maybe hold off and save up a little more, I'd recommend this...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...SB_AT_LP120USB_Direct_Drive_Professional.html

It's a very fine TT for the money. If you follow the threads here at AK you'll read lots of criticisms but most of those are aimed at the fact that this is a knock-off of Technics iconic SL-1200 series tables. ..And it is a knock-off. But so what?? For the money it is very well built, measures very very well, sounds great and isn't nearly as delicate as the rubber-band, exposed motor, plank plinth type TT that has become ubiquitous these days.

Knock off or not, this is a great TT for the $$. Yes, you could probably find some used SL-1200s at this price but they would probably be in pretty rough shape or have had some dubious "upgrades" performed on it

Back
Top Bottom