Modern vs vintage

crn3371

I have a thread running on turntable vs cartridge, now I’ll switch gears to turntable vs turntable. In my cartridge thread I referenced that I’m using a Music Hall Ikura turntable. I also have a like new JVC QL50 turntable with a Black Widow arm. Is this older combo worth reinvestigating over the newer table. I know my cartridge selection would be limited by the Widow’s 3 gram mass, but does this old arm (and table) still measure up?

I have a thread running on turntable vs cartridge, now I’ll switch gears to turntable vs turntable. In my cartridge thread I referenced that I’m using a Music Hall Ikura turntable. I also have a like new JVC QL50 turntable with a Black Widow arm. Is this older combo worth reinvestigating over the newer table. I know my cartridge selection would be limited by the Widow’s 3 gram mass, but does this old arm (and table) still measure up?

Why not? Music Hall tables/arms are not the last word in vinyl playing tech.

Wow-and-flutter specs as well as rumble are claimed better on the JVC when it was new. The Ikura is a very nice table imo. For some, the difference might come down to the need to service the JVC at some point (caps). If you can justify keeping both, cool. Otherwise you could sell either one and get a really nice cartridge for the one you keep.

I just have to ask why the thread? you own both tables. Nothing we say will change that as far as what you hear and like ascetically and function.

Some vintage turn table set are like the high compression engine that requires high octane gas .

Nice to look at but expensive/difficult to run on a daily basis.

Be adventurous, replace the BW on the JVC with an Auddiomods tone arm. :biggrin:
http://www.audiomods.co.uk/

I'd say it depends on budget. <$200, vintage is definitely the better option. Above that, I'd say it's a level playing-field either which way, tastes and aesthetics depending.

I just have to ask why the thread? you own both tables. Nothing we say will change that as far as what you hear and like ascetically and function.

That’s very true, but if every thread asking members opinions were deleted then this would be a very small forum. Yes, I’ve got both. Yes, I have ears, and it’s ultimately my decision. But maybe there’s someone that knows something germane to the question that I don’t, and the more varied info I can gather, the better

Yes opinions and discussion are good things I agree but can't replace emperical data like actual listening. I could give u mine but it's worth little compared to what your ears can tell u.

I've stuck with modern but have been intrigued by vintage. In my area vintage seems difficult to find. I check CL routinely and find mostly junk or overpriced "gems". I don't want to buy vintage from ebay and haven't found obvious choices otherwise online. At some point maybe I'll find a vintage machine to try out, but until then it surely is nice to have a warranty in hand for the machines I buy!

But maybe there’s someone that knows something germane to the question that I don’t, and the more varied info I can gather, the better
My opinion is that your old table is pretty modern as well as the arm design, and your newer bought and built table is modern design as well as the arm. They are also on equal footing as far as price point and quality of performance IMO.

If the arms where able to carry the same cartridges I doubt you'd hear any difference. In fact if you moved the the same cart and arm setup from one table to the other I doubt you would hear the difference.

Thanks everyone. I’ll have to drag the old table down from the cupboard and give her a go. I know it’s all up to me and my aging ears, just nice to hear some other opinions, apologies if I came across as snarky. Guess I’ll have to start looking for a decent high compliance cartridge now.

Thanks everyone. I’ll have to drag the old table down from the cupboard and give her a go. I know it’s all up to me and my aging ears, just nice to hear some other opinions, apologies if I came across as snarky. Guess I’ll have to start looking for a decent high compliance cartridge now.

The VF-3200/e should be a good match compliance wise. Not to mention something from the Grace lineup, and I believe "Soundsmith?" is making replacement stylus for the F9 variants. I'm currently running a Grace F8-L10' cartridge with the stylus from the F8-C on my Grace G707 and it's schveet, but the BW is even lower mass than the Grace arm.
post-18903-042526700 1324635465.jpg

I think it depends on budget.... I'd say over $1,000 AUD (about $750 US) then new is better for both cartridges and turntable.... On the other hand under that price, then I'd go vintage in both cases.

The Fidelity Research FR-1 Mk3 is insane value for money, ditto Philips GP922, the Klipsch MCZ line of carts etc and that's just moving coil. With MM/MI I've found the Pickering/Stanton carts are incredible, ditto some of the Empire and Grace carts. I've found more LOMC's I like as opposed to MM/MI though.

Back
Top Bottom