Modernization of Eico 2080 Amplifier

BuzzK

AK Member
Subscriber
I'm close to compete with a mod I did of an Eico 2080 amplifier (see before & after shots)

Some highlights:

• Tone controls removed

• 6CG7 cathode follower added before final to prevent loading down phono stage & to drive motorized potentiometer

• Infrared receiver / circuit to provide remote volume control and muting

• Front panel redesigned for simplicity, using standard rack front panel

• Four inputs retained; tape input & output removed

• Coupling caps and out-of-spec resistors replaced. Original cans are fine (but I may replace anyway)

I'm helping a friend to do about the same with an ST-70. We may offer a kit of front and back panels . . . stay tuned.

Jon

Attachments

• Eico-2080-Orig-Frt.jpg
    Eico-2080-Orig-Frt.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Eico-2080-Mod-Fr.jpg
    Eico-2080-Mod-Fr.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 395
  • Eico-2080-Mod-Top.jpg
    Eico-2080-Mod-Top.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 425
  • Eico-2080-RF-Encl.jpg
    Eico-2080-RF-Encl.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 441
  • Revised Eico Mod.pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Hiya,

Finally someone does something about that clunky fugly front panel of that otherwise excellent amp. I could say the same thing about most HK preamps.

Good job and I do think those could sell.

Frannie

Nice!.I've got a 2050 thats been modded to 6L6
GCs,but it is an ugly bastard.A faceplate kit would be sweet.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I added two items, including a shot of the totally enclosed infra red receiver / controller board, and a .pdf of the CF stage.

BuzzK

did you paint the chassis, too? it appears to be black...maybe same color as the faceplate? how did you do the lettering?

Yes, I masked and painted the chassis, but I didn't do a very good job of prep, and the paint there isn't adhering too well. As far as paint is concerned, prep is everything.

Lettering was Datak dry transfers, covered by a few layers of their matte acrylic fixative spray. Those materials are getting hard to find now . . . add that to a long list including good capacitors, audio potentiometers, etc.

Wow! Great work Buzz! I think the kits would be a great idea, you could probably sell the hell out of them. They look great! You may want to consider adding knobs with your kits, if you haven't already thought about that.

Good luck,

Ron

Sorry for the crummy photos -- I've done another cosmetic remake on the Eico 2080 with a cage (that accommodates the higher new production 7591s) and a new faceplate. A shot of the original is side-by-side for comparison.

The "extra" hole in the middle is for the infrared sensor which allows me to control the volume and muting remotely.

Buzz

Attachments

• Eico-2080-Redux.jpg
    Eico-2080-Redux.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Eico-2080-Orig.jpg
    Eico-2080-Orig.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Eico-Redux-2.jpg
    Eico-Redux-2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Totally sweet, :thmbsp:
I'm working on another technical makeover with 42's as outputs.

Hi Guys,I just found your thread about the Eico 2080 and I have to say the mods you did to the amp are beautiful.Please tell me that you are selling the faceplates and how to get one of them.I just picked up one of these along with the 2200 tuner and they are both in excellent condition and are working perfectly.They would be so much better if I could make them as awesome as the one you did.I am very interested in the one with the cage,it is a nice looking piece.Any advice or direction on getting started with this mod would be appreciated.Also along with the pieces I got was the complete manual of operation and the service manuals on them both so if you folks or anyone out there should need copies of them I would be glad to send them to anyone that wants them.Do you have any Lit.on what needs to be done to do away with the controls you took out of the amp? and how to get that as well.Thanks for any of your time with this amp and you folks have a great weekend.

Back
Top Bottom