Modified Infinity RS10B's

DanTana

I had bought a pair of these about 6 months ago, pretty cheaply, but the Polycell tweeters didn't work. So, I decided to try the North Creek Music tweeters in them. Silk dome tweeters that they advertised as having 95% of the sound of the venerable Scanspeak 9500. Well I wasn't disappointed with these tweeters, I loved them from the start. One thing seemed missing though and that was the stock crossover wasn't really refined for that tweeter. So, today I took it apart and changed the capacitors and made them 2nd order Butterworth. There was also a 1ohm resistor used to attenuate the older polycell, so the new tweeter also sounded a little laid back. I removed it and now the tweeter seems more balanced with the woofer. All-in-all for what I have in these, probably around $50.00 they are very nice mini-monitors. I also changed the stock crossover point from 3500hz now at 2500hz, the North Creek Music tweeter advertises useable range down below 2000hz, but didn't want to get into that nether region.

I had a pair of the 10b's but with mine it was the woofers that were toast. Replaced them with a set of Dayton shielded woofers and was shocked at how much bottom end this little sucker could produce. I'd bet that your replacement tweeter sounds even nicer than the polycell it replaced.

Mike

If you ever put together a cheap DIY speaker this is one speaker I'd recommend. Unfortunately the tweeter wasn't a drop in replacement, the Polycell tweeter's magnet is much smaller as is the faceplate. I have since found another pair of really nice RS10's with good Polycells so I can A/B them. The Polycell is a surprisingly decent tweeter, but not nearly as smooth or detailed as the D25-06. I've heard great things about the Dayton speakers too, especially their silk dome tweeter. I'd really like to try out a pair of those, especially since they are not wallet breakers either. A pair of these North Creek Music tweeters were about $36.00 a matched pair, even included the frequency response and impedance curve. One nice thing about these too, is that they use the same specs, (cutout, faceplate) as the Scanspeak 9500, so if you ever decide on upgrading it's a drop in, except the crossover.

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Drivers/NorthD25.pdf

pics

Do you guys have pics of these speakers? I want to mod a set of my own. It's either those or some Optimus Pro 77s.

Here is a before and after pic, actually 2 sets I have, one modified, one stock. The crossover is of my own making though in the DIY set. If you use that tweeter I can help you set it up.

Ooops...forgot to rotate it, here is the after, on the other set of RS10B's. Now I've noticed differences in the crossover in the RS10B and the RS10 (1980's) version. I think one is a 4500k crossover, RS10, and the RS10B is 3500K. I could be mistaken as I've seen a few different specs on these. One even claims 2500K but the crossover wasn't the same.

Back
Top Bottom