Modwright

Spent the last 48 hours listening to as much music as I can. Man it sounds great! Probably the biggest step forward in a very long time. Although an expensive upgrade to the system, I am very satisfied with the results. The expense required me giving up some other toys (motorcycle collection) so it was a tough decision but I'm quite content.

Fantastic ... I haven't been on AK in months so I was delighted to read your post. Sounds like your system has reached a whole new level. As much as I would love to step up to the 36.5 I love my trusty little SWL 9.0 Sig. I can see a KWA 150 (or two) in my future. Thanks for the info.

I almost pushed the button on a 9.0 several times as they are said to be an over achiever but I know myself well enough to know I would always wonder what the sound of dan's totl was like. Now I'm curious if there is much gap on his more modest offerings?

I got my custom balanced ICs from Mike today. I have to give him a free plug here because he makes some mighty fine ICs! He uses a 48 hour break in process so these should be good to go in the system. The Modwright KWA 150 SE has balanced inputs and the LS 36.5 DM has balanced outputs. Both my Audio-gd Master 7 and Yamaha CD-S2000 have balanced outputs but the LS 36.5 DM only has one set of balanced inputs. It's going to be a hassle to switch cables so I'm going to need to find a balanced switch box in the future (Any ideas on this would be appreciated).

Went through several recordings I am very familiar with and yes there is solid improvement. I am mostly startled that what I was hearing before could actually be improved upon as I could not imagine it could sound better! The difference is most noticeable at slightly higher volumes when I have a wall of sound in my room. For one, I can actually listen to the system louder before it starts to loose composure. This is surprising because I've always felt the room itself was the limit to my system's composure at it's highest bearable volume. I need to explore this further but I seldom listen at this level. With the volume down a couple of clicks (the remote sure is nice!), but still at an impressive level, the wall of sound is simply deeper. I don't know how to describe it better. I also think the lower bass notes are a bit more solid, have a little more kick and presence to them. I get the feeling these Soliloquy 6.5 speakers are performing as good as they possibly can. What else could you ask for???

I also listened to some single ended sources (vinyl and tape) and the speakers still sound like the system has a tighter grip on them. This tells me the balanced connection between the pre to amp alone is much of the effect I am hearing but I can't rule out the balanced sources probably also provide some improvement on their own. I'm not going to waste my time A/B testing all the various possibilities as it's not like I'm trying to sell something to myself! I can't tell you that switching to a system that allows balanced connections will always improve performance, but I can tell you my system clearly goes up one solid click in performance with these balanced ICs in place.

Johnny Winter just stepped into my room with his guitar so I have to go...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom