MoFi Original Master Vinyl Recrodings -- 2 Questions

Mellotronix

If this has been discussed before, please forgive me, but I have two questions.

The process that MoFi and others use for cutting masters asserts that the end result is more detail and accuracy in the final vinyl product. However, MoFi also states that, "Due to this process, there may be occasional pops or ticks, inherent in initial playback, but as the disc is played more, a high quality stylus will actually polish the groove walls and improve the sound."

I do understand something about physics and mineralogy and, yes, diamonds are harder than vinyl, so I'm not denying the obvious. But does the sound improve as the record is played more? Secondly, if so, is it true of all recordings or just half speed masters?

I suppose there is a third question which is something like at what point does the stylus start damaging the recording rather than improving it, but that's a whole other thing, so I'd be happy with your thoughts on the first two questions posed in the aforementioned. Thanks in advance.

If your answer is "uh, it depends..." I'm gonna toss a perfectly good but noisy as hell MoFi record off of my second floor balcony.

What if any cleaning regiment have you tried? Also, is this a brand new album or is it already "second owner"?

The High Quality stylus, Gets below the issues, as it plays, "Square's" off the groove. 99% of my MFSL/Acoustic Sounds LP's are dead quite.

However, MoFi also states that, "Due to this process, there may be occasional pops or ticks, inherent in initial playback, but as the disc is played more, a high quality stylus will actually polish the groove walls and improve the sound."
Yes it does

I do understand something about physics and mineralogy and, yes, diamonds are harder than vinyl, so I'm not denying the obvious. But does the sound improve as the record is played more? Secondly, if so, is it true of all recordings or just half speed masters?
Yes And All

I suppose there is a third question which is something like at what point does the stylus start damaging the recording rather than improving it, but that's a whole other thing, so I'd be happy with your thoughts on the first two questions posed in the aforementioned. Thanks in advance.
This is dependent on how you take care of them, equipment and cleaning will play a big part.

If your answer is "uh, it depends..." I'm gonna toss a perfectly good but noisy as hell MoFi record off of my second floor balcony
Was it a new record?
Used record?
What kind of turntable and cartridge are you using?

Just to be clear here, just dragging a stylus through a dirty groove is not going to polish out the clicks and pops. As suggested here by others you need to clean the debris out of the grooves otherwise you could imbed that debris into the groove wall creating a permanent tick, click or pop.

I too have many MoFi, Analogue Productions, direct to disc and audiophile import pressings that are dead quiet.

For clarity...
That notation is regarding the LP when new. Nothing to do after it's been played a few times.
MoFi touts that by not de-burring the metal work, better detail is achieved. But there may also be some random, non repeating pops/tics.
Repeated plays should 'polish' those out. In my experience, it actually seems to work.
Forgive if this is a "no duh" post!

Every time you spin a record it polishes it to some degree, and same with the stylus. If you polish a car long enough you will get down to the primer. Same goes with vinyl at some point after enough spins you will loss the high frequencies as those are the first to go away, they are the most minute. A new record always has that just pressed crispness to the high frequency band, and like the break in period of a cart that freshness last a number of spins.

Back
Top Bottom