Money sitting in parts?

slowpat

Slowly but surely....
Subscriber
I’m going through my piles of stuff, and I have a bunch of JBL foam surrounds from Rick Cobb that I no longer have the drivers for, surrounds for AR90 woofers that I sold already, Dayton capacitors for speaker crossovers I no longer have, caps and transistors for recap projects that I no longer have the receiver for, McIntosh owners manuals that I bought, then forgot I had when I sold off the pieces...

I think I have several hundred dollars right here! Ouch...

Anyone else had a similar experience??

When gear used to be less scarce that it is today, I would find poor condition stuff that had good condition manuals and schematics. The piece got sold but I kept the manuals. Kept them for years and finally sold most off for decent coin.

I’m going through my piles of stuff, and I have a bunch of JBL foam surrounds from Rick Cobb that I no longer have the drivers for, surrounds for AR90 woofers that I sold already, Dayton capacitors for speaker crossovers I no longer have, caps and transistors for recap projects that I no longer have the receiver for, McIntosh owners manuals that I bought, then forgot I had when I sold off the pieces...

I think I have several hundred dollars right here! Ouch...

Anyone else had a similar experience??
I tend not to try and add up what I have in spare parts. :D or at leased never, ever tell the wife the amount it comes to. :rolleyes:

I have a bunch of Infinity parts. I started buying up spares when I put my RSM's back into my system after being in the closet for 17 years.
Worth a several hundred.

Amateur.

I have so much stuff that “going through it” is impossible.

I don’t even know what’s in back or bottom of the “someday” project units pile and I know I have units that I don’t know where I stashed.

Hint: All the stuff you stashed is good and sells well on eBay. It may even sell in BarterTown.

Boxes and boxes of passive components
A box or 2 of semi conductors
Wire, connectors, shrink, terminals, t strips , bread board. TUBES:eek2:
If I figure in shipping, it probably would have been cheaper to have someone else do restores and repairs :idea::D
I am exaggerating (Just on the cheaper part)

Move the decimal point to the right one or two notches, and I'm there with ya! Anytime I order parts, I always order a few "spares" just to round out the order, just "in case", or to justify the shipping costs. And everything--regardless of how beat-up and beyond repair/restoration has something worth salvaging, so there are bins full of "junk". But its only "junk" until someone needs that oddball headshell, counterweight, knob, switch/button that has been out production for 40 years.

Hell--a while back, I posted (just for fun) a pair of tweeters from Panasonic "Thrusters" on Eprey and someone bought them for $80--you never know...

Yep,,, lotsa spare parts hanging around,,, and ya still need to order one resistor to finish a project,,, Go figure!!! Murphys law, I guess!!!!

I have bins full of parts. RCA jacks, RCA plugs, XLR connectors, knobs, screws, nuts, washers, headshell leads, banana jacks, coax splitters, cartridges, stylii, LEDs, resistors, capacitors, VU meters, project boxes, product badges, and the list goes on and on and on.........

Then there are projects waiting for parts, like and Empire 498 TT with no motor, AR turntable parts, wall warts, on and on...

Count me in. A couple years ago we bought a 10x16 Tuff Shed. (One of those "little red barn" things, with a double loft.) I immediately filled it to the brim with stereo and electronics. I still have enough stuff left over to prevent me parking my car in the garage. I need to sell some stuff. :blah:

I've collected surplus parts for years. Many weren't worth much at the time, but have become expensive unobtanium. Not so much audio parts, but precision voltage references, maxon motors, specialty ICs, 10-turn pots and the "glue" that makes up 80% of all projects. I also have a huge number of thru hole resistors in values nobody has ever designed into anything. And tons of rotary switch wafers. No hardware to use them, but lots of wafers that don't fit anything. If I took the new or re-seller prices, I'd be rich, but there's no way to actually sell for that. No doubt when I expire, they'll just pitch it all.

Once again AK members make me realize I do NOT have a "collecting" issue.
Thanks!

It's part of the hobby, I think. I've got loads of passive components, some semiconductors, thousands of tubes, many unused speaker drivers.. woofers, tweeters, horn tweeters. Spare test equipment. Not to mention hi-fi components I don't use. Let's not even get into books I haven't touched in years because digital copies are easier to find. What I really need to find is a good source for capstan motors, I have a few around but never the one I need at the time I need it :)

I collect cables, RF, Hdmi, analog, microphone, etc etc. I also have a dozen phone plugs, another Dozen XLR connectors M&F , a few BNC, Dozen or so Gold RCA, Banana plugs, power cords, mini and mini plugs. They all fit in a box about 1 cu ft inside. Then a I have a full drawer of Computer cables etc. with some more audio cables. I still have about 1500 ft of mic cables, dozen mic stands, and about a dozen mics. Two old Amps mixers some phantom power supplies, and two Crown D-150A amps and some other junk. If I go back east this year most of the stuff worth anything will go with me to be sold by a friend of mine.

I must have several hundred dollars or more in transistors, diodes, capacitors, resistors and IC's. Yet somehow I rarely I have the parts I need.
Right? I try to order a few extras of commonly used parts when I make my orders But it never fails, you never have that one last part you need. I did finely buy a large assortment of resistors though. 10 or so each of common and not so common values. That alone has been a big help.

Back
Top Bottom