Monitor Audio Silver 6 Speakers

I have older monitor audio silver towers similar to s6, and like them a lot. Mated with Adcom CD player and audiosource 300 amp (with toroidal transformer) and it just sings...Clear top, and dynamic mids with enough bass for classical music I listen to mostly. When I listen to this setup, I ask myself why would someone want more? By the way, I spent only $250 for the entire setup - I scored the s6 for $100 with other gears thrown in! Audiosource is good value amp but avoid the 100 model - known to catch fire!

Anyway, slivers have received 5 stars from What Hifi magazine and I can see why.

I bet your setup sounds heavenly with your amp...enjoy.

I have both the Paradigm and Monitor Audio and enjoy both - just different. The Paradigm seems more audiophile upscale sound, but Monitor Audio too sound good to me...

I have both the Paradigm and Monitor Audio and enjoy both - just different. The Paradigm seems more audiophile upscale sound, but Monitor Audio too sound good to me...

I've owned a good many Paradigm and have heard almost all of them. To which model are you comparing the Monitor Audio? One of the Monitor series?

Have bookshelf Bronze on a work room system, ( powered by vintage pioneer Reciever ) the Radius cubes in a bedroom. My main system I have the Silver 6's turned sideways on shelf for my surrounds. I use Gold 20's towers for my mains and a gold center.My sub is a HSU VTF 3 MKII
At the same [rice points I have not found anything as pleasant to my ear as Monitor Audio's , but I only have one good ear....

Ja vohl, Sgt Schultz!

My mains are your turned-sideways surround channels. You must have some long shelves in that room.

I think Monitor Audio speakers are good value, too. At least in the Silver and Bronze series (haven't heard any of the Gold). And provide a pleasant, highly enjoyable listen for music to my ear, as well.

I have MA Silver RS6 which I purchased at Harvey Electronics 2008. Still enjoy these. I purchased Focal Aria 936 (2017 with a budget of $4000) and looked at MA Gold, Palatium, Paradigm, B&W and hearing Top, Mids, Bass, soundstage..etc..
I did select Focal...With the Tube PrimaLuna...the others did not cut it. Plus...Focal does everything In-House even the Drive materials, Cross-Overs, Cabinets...

the shelves are long, mounted on opposite walls.
I had lived in a log cabin home for 14 years. In that home the upper level had slopped ceilings I had to hang shelves from chains.

I am tempted at times to switch out the golds for silvers just to change it up. Sometime " different " sounds better .
I recently had the oppertunity to listen to some B&W speakers at a friends house. They sounded great !
Came home, put on a DVD Audio Disc , I was re asured I had made the right purchase 13 years ago.
His B&W's sounded different , which I think we all need at times, like new wonderfull smells we haven't witnessed before. Those new smells become old and we are back to where we were.
Like the Jethro Tull song
" It Was a New Day Yesterday But its an Old Day Now "
I

I have started threads here at AK a few times, asking owners to be objective and report the weaknesses of a specific component, or speaker, and have found how difficult it is for people to admit to any weakness at all. Quite a few folks will reply "none." An answer I don't find believable, in literal terms.

I have thought the same, soliciting specific feedback on equipment and in particular, speakers. The responses tended to be a short "horrible" or "great" descriptions when what I was looking for were specifics about how a speaker behaved in a certain sized room. I have found only a few speaker/room combinations I really loved. I'm currently trying Magnepans (3.6R) and they are real good but not the magic I was hoping for. I can certainly live with them for a while and they were a great value. I wish I had a bigger room. I never thought I would see the day you gave up your Khorns. When I read the post, I recall having a similar experience with the Belles. I still wish I would have had the room to keep them - there were some things they did amazingly well but they were inconsistent. I am a classic rock guy with leanings towards blues, bluegrass, and fast paced jazz. The jazz and bluegrass the Belles did typically very well, at time astonishing while other material I found fatiguing. I gave up and went to monitor/sub combinations. Dynaudio C1's and a Velodyne DD-10 and then swapped the Dynaudio's for Proac D Two's. I like the immediacy of the monitors, fast accurate and very good mid range. Both pairs imaged really well in my smaller room and when I finally got the sub dialed in it was a very good experience. The issue I had was at higher volumes the 6.5 inch drivers have a hard time keeping up. I hate putting undue stress on an expensive speaker - it makes me nervous. The Proac mid/bass drivers are $550 each. I think my next speaker will be similar in style to the Monitor Audio - I'm looking at the Ryan R630. I will look for a used pair but they are kinda hard to find. I appreciate your post, it reaffirmed the direction I am going. I'd love a set of B&W 800's or Dynaudio C4's but I just cant afford that much money and I dont have the space.

I bought a cheap trailer to live in while in college. The den was about 14x10. A 30wpc NAD receiver and a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers were magical in that room, for some reason.

A buddy, who owned B&W speakers, and AVA-modded Dynaco amplification stopped by one day. The guy hated all things Klipsch. At first we were just talking while the music played, but finally he burst out with, "I can't believe this! Your system sounds almost as good as mine! [I agreed with this assessment, BTW, and took no offense at all] I have never heard any Klipsch speaker sound this good! What the hell?!"

"Yeah. Right? There's something about this room. The shoddy, weak construction? This dirty-ass carpet? The size, shape and lucky placement? Something this system loves."

When I sold the ugly thing and moved out (profiting $1000), I never heard that system sound so good again. A pretty extreme example of how much impact a given space has on the sound of a particular rig.

EDIT: Now I think about it, I realize that room was larger than I first recalled here. It was an old modular double-wide, measuring 20' x 40'. The den was about 19 x 9, more of a rectangle, with a 19 x 9 kitchen/dining combo with a center wall about 12' long separating the two spaces but opening into them at each end. The rig was asymmetrically placed on a long exterior wall, with the left speaker ony three feet or so from a corner, and the right far from a corner. Yet it all worked. Go figure.

Last edited:
Now that I've had the chance to live with the Bryston Mini-T for a few months, I thought some of you might find it interesting to read a few comments regarding how they compare to the Monitor Audio Silver 6, which I moved to the bedroom.

First, it is hard to ignore the price difference, of course. New vs new, the Bryston at about $4k/pair (in black ash) vs the (recently discontinued) MA at its $1150/pair new street price means you'd pay more than thrice the amount. Having bought my Mini-Ts used, it is easier to ignore, since my price difference was less than $700.

Expense is such a relative concept. Many AKers would never spend this much on speakers, even when they could afford them. Some may consider my mentioning their prices as bragging. Others are willing to spend even more, and quite a few would expect to see much larger cabinets for their dollar. We reside all over the map. However, quite a few of you will understand that in today's audio speaker world, these are basically budget models, so if I want to brag, it can only be to simply say I think I made good choices.

The second thing you notice, after hearing both these pairs, is that you can't ignore the Bryston's deeper, richer bass output, nor it's ability to energize a medium-size room (about 370 sq ft) with impressive volume. Although Bryston did choose to use the Mini moniker in their model nomenclature, these aren't Superzero or Minimus 7 size. At 22.5" in height with a 10.5x10" footprint, they are a largish (by current standards) stand-mount loudspeaker. Also, keep in mind that the footprint isn't square - the non-parallel speaker sides are tapered to the rear, making the speaker even smaller. But that eight-inch woofer - apparently designed and built by Axiom - has the cojones to deliver impressive bass performance. To my ear, they blend beautifully with the SVS subwoofers which I use as their speaker stands.

By contrast, the Silver 6 has a taut bass alignment which doesn't delve as deeply. I'm using them with a small pair of Polk PSW-111 eight-inch subwoofers, and love that combination for my bedroom. They sound right together, blending better than the Silver 6 did with the larger SVS models. Now, this is in hindsight. At the time I thought the Silver 6 were wonderful with the larger subs, but once the Bryston supplanted them on the main rig, and I moved the 6 into the bedroom, pairing them with the Polk subs, I came to realize this sounds better to me, and that the Mini-T integrates much more seamlessly with the larger (12") subs.

I really enjoy both presentations. As for the mids and highs, I may as well flip a coin. Not that they sound exactly the same. Sometimes I think I prefer the Silver 6 mids and HFs. It almost comes down to preferring whichever I'm hearing at the time. But, I tend to choose classical music for probably 80% of my bedroom listening, where the taut presentation reveals great midrange resolution from the MA. Also, the MA gold tweeter has impressed me from the start. Of course, when I listen to classical on the main rig, I really like the weightiness of a symphony orchestra which that system does better.

I noticed when shopping for the Silver 6 that What Hi-FI? remarked of it, "not as resolving as some" and one supposes they mean some in the same price range. Whoever opined that probably has the chance to hear more speakers than I. Or maybe has a bias. I am definitely biased. Perhaps this resolution I so enjoy from the S6 is partially a byproduct of its tauter bass alignment, causing the mids to stand out more. I'm uncertain.

But I most certainly do love and enjoy both systems. As a value alert, I have seen the Silver 6 still available now and again, and priced as low as $399 each, in walnut.

Amplification for the two systems consists of the Levinson on the main rig with the Mini-T, and a Yamaha A-S500 driving the Silver 6. I expect the Levinson to deliver, but must add that the Yamaha continues to wow me, too. I run it Pure Direct all the time, and the Monitor Audio seem to be an easy gig for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom