1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Monks Music re/limited edition

Discussion in 'Music Reviews' started by Hajidub, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

Thelonius Monk ~Monk's Music~ a reissue the wife got me a couple years back. Ordered from Newbury Comics and only 600 reissued on red vinyl. Just cleaned it and got around to listening to it! On the Riverside label and man I must say it sounds f'n phenomenal (reissue or not). Art Blakey is a god on drums (wow just wow), never hurts to have Coltrane on sax.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BassKulcha

BassKulcha Cathode Follower Subscriber

Great album, everyone was fantastic in that session. (Every time "Abide With Me" kicks in, I feel I'm 10 years old at midnight mass again, lol.)

I have an '83 OJC copy, and the SQ on that is really great as well, but I also have an eye out for an OG Riverside for comparison—

jgannon and Carraway like this.
  3. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that pressing--and currently only have a CD copy--but it's one of my favorite Monk albums. And as you can probably guess from my avatar I rather like Monk. I'm tempted to request that "Abide with Me" into "Well You Needn't" be played as they shuffle off my remains.

jgannon likes this.
  4. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

I agree Art Blakey was other-worldly. :bowdown:

Hajidub likes this.
  5. BirdLives

BirdLives Super Member

I'm kind of a fan also...
    IMG_0488.JPG

Carraway, darkblue94, Hajidub and 2 others like this.
  6. dfunghi

dfunghi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those early OJC were often times great pressings. Monk's playing to me is like a chef that can combine ingredients that on paper sound awful yet taste amazing. Being a huge Bill Evans fan (and Ahmad, and McCoy and Brubeck and Nat and......) I always find Monk to be in his own class. His way of mixing notes and stroking keys was 100% unique.

I am glad I live on a planet where T Monk made music.

BassKulcha and BirdLives like this.

Please register to disable this ad.