Mono rigs? We need our own thread. Here is my setup

The Garrard looks good! But I noticed that you're running Shures in both of the tables shown in that system. If I'm not mistaken, I seem to recall from a thread a couple of years ago that you liked the Stanton 500 / Pickering V-15 carts for playing mono records.
You have a good memory. I do like the Pickering/ Stanton cartridges, however; lately, I have been using the Shures in my two Garrard record players. In the Garrard 40B, the Shure SC35C seems to be an ideal cartridge in terms of tracking force and sound. I have found it to be a improvement over the M3D I was using in the RC 88/4. One additional thing I like about the SC35C Shure cartridges is that the styli are still readily available from Shure.

What a fine looking setup. What cartridge are you using in the record player?

I am not using it. Reading info about that changer, most suggest not using it. I am not sure how well it works. I have yet to go thru it all. Cleaned up the receiver only and addee some new insulation down in the speaker cabine on one of the walls that had none. Really only use it to listen to classical radio.

well gosh darn, and shit howdy.

Audrey:
IMG_1097JPG.jpg IMG_1096JPG.jpg IMG_1098JPG.jpg

In her new home, driving the stacked early 50's GE A1-400 coaxial corner speaker (only top one hooked up)
DSCN0779_zps0b681b2e.jpg

Audrey is:
Early 30's Art-Deco cabinet w/ original finish.
Replaced burned out radio/amp with HarmanKardon PC200 6V6 integrated 10w mono tube amp, with lots of EQ shapes.
Presto 15G2 radio broadcast TT 3-speed idler set onto a 1/16" copper top plate, and into a massive birch ply plinth. The plinth is suspended within the cabinet to eliminate acoustic feedback. The plinth is as thick as the wood area above the amplifier.
GE A1-500 radio broadcast tonearm
The cabinet has a modern ceiling coaxial speaker in it, for stand alone use; or, the GE A1-400 mono corner speaker.

Last edited:
Vintage mono systems are great to listen to for "period correct" sound. I get a lot of excellent 50's jazz Lp's that are in too poor shape to listen to on my main system or to sell, so I save them to spin on this system with the GE VRII which is very forgiving when it comes to surface noise.

MC-4, MC-30, Stripped down Empire 598 with GE VRII, built in Altec "VOT" type speaker in the office, and Jensen cab with JBL/Altec parts wired in the living room.

mono 001.JPG mono 002.JPG mono 003.JPG mono 004.JPG

Vintage mono systems are great to listen to for "period correct" sound. I get a lot of excellent 50's jazz Lp's that are in too poor shape to listen to on my main system or to sell, so I save them to spin on this system with the GE VRII which is very forgiving when it comes to surface noise.

MC-4, MC-30, Stripped down Empire 598 with GE VRII, built in Altec "VOT" type speaker in the office, and Jensen cab with JBL/Altec parts wired in the living room.

View attachment 1102987 View attachment 1102988 View attachment 1102989 View attachment 1102990

Do you have a 1 mil stylus on that VRII or a .7 mil? I realize that they can carry two needles and be flipped around, but you must have taken the knob off of the top to mount it on a modern headshell.

Do you have a 1 mil stylus on that VRII or a .7 mil? I realize that they can carry two needles and be flipped around, but you must have taken the knob off of the top to mount it on a modern headshell.

It's 1 mil. Actually the type of cartridge that only takes a single tip stylus.

Back
Top Bottom