1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Monolith Cinema 5 Speakers

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by timsclips, Oct 29, 2018.

1. timsclips

timsclips AK Subscriber Subscriber

It seems that the Dayton-Wright B652 Air speakers have quite a following for a very inexpensive pair of speakers, but one comment seen over and over again is that they need to be upgraded, cabinet bracing, crossover, replace bass driver? Maybe a great deal for the folks that love to tinker with their speakers but I have found the following that cost quite a bit more but seems to have fixed the issues seen in the Daytons.
    https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Cin...=101&pf_rd_i=3236451011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Trying to find info on these is very difficult, has anyone had a chance to hear them as of yet? Looks good with a quality case and larger Heil driver than the Daytons, I would hope the crossover would have been improved as well.

jazzmans likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bbqjoe

bbqjoe New Member

I picked up a pair of the B652 airs about 6 weeks ago.
    I have them sitting on my large antique wooden desk, with my ears at about tweeter height, at a 2ft triangle.
    I'm running them with a 100wpc Onkyo.

Call me an idiot, but I really like them.
    The bass won't rattle your windows, nor crack your homes foundation, but it is more than ample.
    The highs are nice, airy, and crisp.
    The bass is tight and not flabby, with some good punch.
    To me, they sound great at a moderate volume+. I have never pushed them to distortion levels though.

They aren't subdued, nor are they in your face, just how I like a speaker.
    Do they have awesome soundstage, disappear, or have mindnumbing imaging?
    Probably not.
    But to me, they satisfy my ear hunger, sound great, and make me smile.
    I don't think you can spend as little as $50 in the audio world on anything, and get so much in return.

I did some research, and you could go nuts upgrading these and end up with a $300-$500 pair, but I'm probably just going to leave them as is.

My guess is though, if you placed them in the corners of your bedroom, you might not be so impressed, but I haven't tried that either.