Monoprice Pure Tube Amp?

It's kinda got to be a hybrid, at least in some sense.

There's not enough tubes, for the phono stage to be tube (it would take at least one more input tube- a phono stage needs at least one dual triode per channel, and a PP tube amp also requires one full dual triode per channel), so the phono stage has to be at least partly solid-stage.

Obviously, the Bluetooth circuitry isn't tube, either. :D

Cosmetically, this reminds me of the Eastern Electric stuff... but I have no idea if it's the same manufacturer building it...

Regards,
Gordon.

Unless the tone controls are in the feedback loop for the amp- then they've probably got to be SS, too...

I can't imagine someone trying to do tone controls in a global feedback loop, any more, at this date and time. It has historically usually been akin to the proverbial trainwreck, IME...

Regards,
Gordon.

it is cosmetically identical to the infamous Nobsound -- with the addition, however, of three more vacuum tubes.
nobsound-ms-10dmkii-silver.jpg

The MP amp's specifications (10 watts @ 1% HD) is more than plausible for PP EL84.
Three 6N3s in the MP gives 'em six triode sections to do... whatever... with.

272221.jpg

My first rhoughts were SS for bluetooth, tone control and phono also. It would be nice to find a picture of the underside.

I would suspect the phono stage could be solid state - but otherwise, I quote:

The tube amplifier has seen a resurgence in recent years due to the warm, pleasing sound that only a tube amplifier can offer. The Monoprice Pure Tube Amplifier utilizes four EL84 tubes for the power output stage and three 6N3 tubes for the preamplifier stage to deliver that rich, full-bodied tube sound. This is no hybrid, with a solid state power amplifier stage here! This is a full-blown, all tube amplifier. The black panels, lighted VU meter, and the warm glow of the exposed tubes present a retro look, which enhances any home or office environment with that hint of old school styling. Featuring Bluetooth®, line-level, and phono-level inputs for maximum flexibility. This all-tube power amplifier has all the features to meet the needs of today's music enthusiasts!

For example?
Self-build with parts from a used amp, fixing up console amp (as Pio1980 says), or restoring a used amp. These options will involve looking out for a good deal of course. I have a number of push pull amps with good transformers bought cheaply in non-working condition, but now working well, e.g. Eico, Heathkit, Trio, etc.

Starting with something cheap (and thus built with low-quality components--think about it) is not a way towards good sound. YMMV.

Last edited:
You asked me to expand on my post. I did.

The issue remains whether this $300 amp, built with who knows what components, will work to your satisfaction. The only way to find out is to buy it and try it. If you do, let us know how you get on.

Well, just because you rebuild it doesn't ALWAYS mean you use 'non-questionable' parts as there are so many, I will call them white van parts out there, it is hard to do it well, if you don't have the basic knowledge. I leave that to the experts.

People on this forum rave about CCA and other little DAC's that are inexpensive but can have questionable parts on the inside and one will not know. I find that a rather wishy-washy sentiment. I believe one needs to be consistent through the production chain to get the excellent reproduction. Maybe it is just me.

Use what you will.
Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. Let's leave this discussion and let others reply to the OP's question.

I would suspect the phono stage could be solid state - but otherwise, I quote:

The tube amplifier has seen a resurgence in recent years due to the warm, pleasing sound that only a tube amplifier can offer. The Monoprice Pure Tube Amplifier utilizes four EL84 tubes for the power output stage and three 6N3 tubes for the preamplifier stage to deliver that rich, full-bodied tube sound. This is no hybrid, with a solid state power amplifier stage here! This is a full-blown, all tube amplifier. The black panels, lighted VU meter, and the warm glow of the exposed tubes present a retro look, which enhances any home or office environment with that hint of old school styling. Featuring Bluetooth®, line-level, and phono-level inputs for maximum flexibility. This all-tube power amplifier has all the features to meet the needs of today's music enthusiasts!

For what it's worth, I bought one and have been using it for 3 months straight. Love it's warm Feeling and sound. I have a Pioneer SX-1080, Technics SE-A70, Yamaha RX-V1050 to compare it too. It sounds as every bit warm as a tube amp should. The 10 watt output goes a long way.... I'm driving Marantz HD-880's and Pioneer HPM-100's and I can't hear any quality loss. Trying to find out if this amp is self biasing on the tubes. Any One Know ?????? Thanks..

I bought a less expensive, similar Monoprice "Tube" amp, product 13194 for $142. It was sold as, "Stereo Hybrid Tube Amp with Bluetooth®."

I pulled off the bottom plate and did some checking. The tubes I inspected were just for "decoration" -- they were not part of any active circuit. There is no way the voltages on the pins could amplify anything. If you pulled a tube out, it disabled the circuit.

In my personal opinion, it was fraudulently presented piece of junk. Caveat emptor.

The good thing is that Monoprice gave a full refund with no hassles.

I'm sure there may be better out there for similar pricing, but this would be something I would buy. I don't want to build. I don't want to repair. I just want to turn it on and have it work. Bluetooth is a bonus, as I am also lazy and use my phone and Spotify more than anything else these days. I think there is a perfectly legitimate place for these types of units.

That being said, I would rather spend twice the money and find a nice vintage unit for someone else to repair and service for me.

Sheesh, this thread reminded me I have a 500C and an 800C in the attic. Maybe I should just grab those and have them repaired. Probably spend the same money.

Back
Top Bottom