Monster of monsters:SX-1980

Maybe it's just me, but I think this byrd's got a VERY high opinion of himself...Granted, it IS an Sx-1980 an all, but still..."approved bidder"? "wire draft"-or whatever-Sheesh ! Bet it STILL could benefit by going to see Glenn or Terry....And no offence guys, but I always thought Pioneers were kinda like Fords or Chevies..I got a Yammy, which was an Olds or Buick...couldn't quite Cadillac it, get a McIntosh...<grin>-Sandy G.

I like the analogy, Sandy :thmbsp: Others may quibble, but I think it's accurate.
Tom

This is the umpteenth time this same receiver has been listed by this seller. "Preapproved bidders only"

Em the guy and he em's back with his phone number and a note to give him a call. Gimme a break. :thumbsdn:

Murray

Yup..Skippy's right. Look at the thread I started last time this showed up.
http://204.10.140.18/forums/showthread.php?t=45111 :yes: Believe it or not, the sale was the exact same item and pictures. Somehow, he pulls the add with no bidders and avoids the sellers fees. After this sale, the sx1980 will dissappear from Ebay again, with something else in it's place :scratch2:

Last edited:
540 watt at 3db

why not list it as 1080watt at 6db?
The big ol SR-2004 has meters that go to 600!!! Maybe that's a selling feature for the Hitachi. Let's see if the 1980 is worth 2400, the Hitachi should have been worth 2500...........and to think I let it go for 400 :sigh:

I agree it is too much for that receiver, but hey, I think the price I paid for my BA-5000 is pretty pricey too.

Someone, somewhere might have just won the lottery and have the cash so you can't blame the guy for trying to get the $.

I garantee you this auction will end up being for a user's manual! He does this several times a year. I have emailed him to get on the list and all I got was his phone number and instructions to call him. Never bothered.

I'm not interested in the receiver but I wonder if I called him and told him I wanted to stop by and look at it in person if he would agree to that or freak out . :scratch2:

Have a look at his other items. This one's just an appetizer...sheesh...he's either got a pile of money or, as it sounds from this thread, is more of a poseur. Mystery to me what could be the benefit of this kind of thing unless he really has some of this stuff and sometimes sells some of it. Legend in his own mind??

Interesting note:all his available feedback from buyers is for items either $.99 or $9.99. Odd fellow... :thumbsdn:

Last edited:
drjuju said:
Over on that auction site. Have to qualify to bid. Opening is rather steep.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-SX-1980...ryZ39789QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Question is, of course, how does one arrive at a "worth-it" appraisal from the comfort of one's terminal, even given that it is in pristine condition?

That auction has been running for the past month. The photography is simply DREADFUL......which raises several concerns in my mind. I haven't seen photographs that bad for the last two years. Who know what they are concealing with all that digital artifact?

Geez, if the guy's that bad with a camera and a computer........

Sandy G said:
Maybe it's just me, but I think this byrd's got a VERY high opinion of himself...Granted, it IS an Sx-1980 an all, but still..."approved bidder"? "wire draft"-or whatever-Sheesh ! Bet it STILL could benefit by going to see Glenn or Terry....And no offence guys, but I always thought Pioneers were kinda like Fords or Chevies..I got a Yammy, which was an Olds or Buick...couldn't quite Cadillac it, get a McIntosh...<grin>-Sandy G.
If you are in it for the sound, then stay with your Buick :thmbsp: . Only get the Cadillac if you care about looks and not the sound.

I'm gonna go with Sandy on this one, an openning bid of WHAT$$, screw it way more than reasonable :yes:

One born every minute... Doah !

I was just thinking I have come across those terrible pictures on an auction quite awhile ago.Now I remember! Sellers name was "hotacobell" or something.Those are the same pictures for sure.Anyone remember?

drjuju said:
Interesting note:all his available feedback from buyers is for items either $.99 or $9.99. Odd fellow... :thumbsdn:

That is because his auctions Always end up being for User's or Owner's manuals, regardless of what they start out being. :thumbsdn:

Sandy G said:
....And no offence guys, but I always thought Pioneers were kinda like Fords or Chevies...<grin>-Sandy G.

...And what a chevy this is! :D Perhaps the 63 Corvette Stingray of stereos :naughty:

As for the auction, I believe is the same Hotacobell guy with another account. I beat him the other day for an original SX-1980 manual!!! :banana:

Last edited:
Take a look at this smoe's completed sales, via his feedback. He does not actually sell gear, but a few inexpensive manuals or some such junk. Either he's a rip-off, or he is using the ad to get personal contact and sells his stuff off the bay. He lists a lot of great gear, but none of it is EVER sold on the bay.

He used to put stuff up for low starters, and still not sell. he has recently started puttng up high starters...to keep Andy from bidding on it just to stick him with the ad till it closes :)

I don't trust him as far as I can throw him, and that's not very far, I assure you. He is beginning to hit me like one of those Nigerian million dollar offers. He definitely has some kind of scam or flim-flam going.

Rich P

Well, we shall see what we shall see. I agree w/the Rabbi-somethin' kinda smells fishy here. As we so eloquently put it 'round here-"I wouldn't trust him in the shithouse with a muzzle on.."-Sandy G.

Why Ebay allows some jerk to continue to pull a stunt like this is beyond me. I guess it is what they do...or don't do! It is a good example of what is wrong with Ebay and it's costing them business everyday.

Terry

He had the same ad last month with an opening "pre approved" bid of $1.00. I emailed him to get on the bidders list. He never replied. I have 100% feed back with over 600 transactions, Ithough I would qualify. I think it's a scam........

Back
Top Bottom