MONSTER receiver collector's club

I know a few 85wpc receivers that think they can do anything. . . Try a 950/980 for example or plenty of the Marantz ilk. . .

Not trying to be sour grapes here but to me as was mentioned earlier there are several TOTL jobs that are rated less than 100wpc. . .You got to remember those are "jumbo watts" from the time when "watts" were "WATTS" not like todays single channel maybe "watts" for a nano second. . .

gyusher said:
And lose the SX-1250? ? >?

Say it isn't so. . .

If you include the SX-1250 in the list, you've just included enough receivers that when stacked on top of each other makes Jack's beanstalk look like a fine blade of grass from the Master's golf course putting green in comparison..............:yes:

If a monster was qualified as anything over 180wpc, there would only be about 5 members. Anything TOTL or over 120wpc is considered a monster here.:yes:

theblackknight said:
If a monster was qualified as anything over 180wpc, there would only be about 5 members. Anything TOTL or over 120wpc is considered a monster here.:yes:
There are a lot of older TOTL receivers that are no where near 120wpc. In my opinion a monster needs to top 150w. I have a bunch of them but not all of them work.

- Pete

I'm an ex-oficio member

I currently have two monsters: the Concept 16.5 & the Yamaha R-2000.
I have had, at the same time, the G-9700, SX-5590, KR-9600, The Receiver, KR-9400, TX-8500MkII, & the SX-1050 (not TOTL but a hefty 120 wpc).
After getting the Concept 16.5 I gradually sold the other receivers. I guess I should offer the R-2000 up for sale, it isn't getting any use for a while. Excellent sounding receiver, though.

Don't qualify at all. :no: My biggest Marantz receiver (so far) is a 2285B. Biggest Sansui receiver is a 9090. I have a (rebadged) TOTL quad H/K, but it isn't 120 watts. Guess I'm a non-entity...a loser...I don't qualify... I'm not "in"... Oh, the shame of it all! :no: :tears:

:scratch2: I think I'll go console myself with putting some rare vinyl music on the Dual and running it through my twin 600 watt (bridged mode) Adcom amps and Infinity towers... or maybe just the run the 2285B or perhaps the 2275, 2265, 2252B, etc... through the Esotec or one of the AU-999s or the AU-9500 and out the 7 Kappas or the Epicures or the SX3-IIIs or the HPM 100s or.... maybe I'll just re-cap the 300dc or fix that on-off glitch in the Nak ZX-7 to take my mind off my monster deprivation. Hope it won't be too depressing, knowing that I'm not listening to true monsters, yet. :D

EDIT: I guess it doesn't hurt to update a post more than three years later :)D): Since the above was written, I have qualified to join this club, with an SX-1980, an SX-1250, a Sony STR-V7, and maybe one or two others. (I think the HK "Citation - The Receiver" should be allowed, because of coolness factor and extreme rarity, and because its MSRP was as high as many on the list, and because it sounds better than some on the list.) Hey! I just noticed the last line in the OP says TOTL models like the SX-1010 (which I have) count, too. I'm definitely over three, then. --Guess I'm IN THE CLUB! Finally! - a club that I can actually join! Thank you! :banana: :D

Here is the text of what WAS post #52 in this thread. As per what it says at the bottom, I'm merging it with this one, and deleting it, to avoid double-posting:

My four biggest receivers (so far ) are:

Pioneer SX-1050........120 WPC
Sony Str-V6..............115 WPC
Sansui 9090...............110 WPC
Marantz 2285B.............85 WPC

I can join the other club (over 100 WPC) but not this one. All mine are too puny. I'm glad women care more about the size of a man's ... uh, well they don't care much about stereo transformer size. Can a guy suffer from "toroid envy"?

EDIT/UPDATE: I've added a bunch (and got rid of some "off the bottom") and the stable now includes the SX-1980, SX-1250, STR-7, and others, so I guess I might squeak in as qualified now.

It may not qualify on wattage(?), but for sheer coolness factor and ultra-rarity, I think the HK "Citation - The Receiver" ought to count, too. Still missing a 2500/2600, the biggest Kenwood, and a few others that might be desirable. I'd love to have a black-faced SX-5590!

FURTHER EDIT/UPDATE: I've also added a Marantz 2325. I think that one should squeak in as a "monster" receiver, too, given its place in the history of the "receiver wars", and its wattage rating of 125 WPC, which meets the 120+ Watt criterion.

P.S. -- I was just re-reading this thread, and discovered that I have TWO posts in it, made at different times, and both updated --also at different times-- without my having realized it. That's the risk when a thread hangs around the archives and re-emerges at long intervals, I guess. LOL! After I renew my membership and can cancel one, I'll consolidate both of them into a single, comprehensible entry and delete the redundant entry. (Please be patient with the double posts until then.)

Last edited:
I put 120wpc+ because the Setton RS-660 IMO is the coolest receiver ever, and its got more than enough power for most. LIKE I SAID, THERE CAN BE OTHERS OUTSIDE THAT LIST--MAC-4100, the Setton, SX-1050/80, etc.

I cant be perfect. Lets all have fun with this and not argue about who/whats in and who/whats not.

Fine, I'll make more rules--you all really seem to want them--nothing under 100wpc besides the MAC.

Play nice, this is a monster RECEIVER thread

and the thread owner sez 120 wpc, but prefers TOTL models.
And is more aimed at receiver collectors. So be nice.

Why is the wintec R-1120 not on the list? 120 watt and mine tested new at over 140 watt if I remember correctly. All Wintecs were tested by a tech and came with a card stating their tested WPC.

ExJxC, did you not read the entire thread?

He said anything over 120wpc counts, even if it is not on the list. :)

ExJxC said:
Why is the wintec R-1120 not on the list? 120 watt and mine tested new at over 140 watt if I remember correctly. All Wintecs were tested by a tech and came with a card stating their tested WPC.

Yeah, why is the Wintec not included??????

This is becoming too complicated with all the different scenarios, exceptions, and variances to the primary intention(s)....:scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom