Monster Receiver Guy is off his meds....Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he had known who I actually was, I would have never met him, he would have just sent a barrage of nasty emails.

If he had known, I'm pretty sure you're still locked up in his storage shack with all that gear!! :)

A year or so ago, I responded to a CL listing in Detroit, for a large receiver that was offered by a seller in Indiana, who I later came to find out was the infamous "monster receiver guy." The info and pic in his ad were limited, so I sent a polite inquiry with some basic questions. Got a quick response asking for my cell number, which I naively provided. (I would later regret that decision.)

Almost immediately, the abuse began. Emails and texts calling me a #%$@*@#*$ flipper, and touting his supreme knowledge and uncanny ability to perceive my motivations. The messages were not only rude, but quite offensive and filled with colorful language. Initially, I tried to diffuse the situation and defend myself, but this too, was a mistake as it seemed to inflame him further. So I simply ignored him.

Unfortunately, that didn't work, as he continued to send dozens more emails and texts which quickly escalated: He made it clear that he'd found out my name and address (gotta love the internet!) and was now making physical threats to come and get me, and claiming he would send the cops/press charges/call his lawyer. It was offensive, intimidating, and humorously pathetic, all at the same time!

The crowning blow was when he put my name, city, and phone number in his CL ad (along with a couple of other people that had apparently offended his delicate medical condition), calling us all out as #$%^&*(&*^%$% flippers. At this point, I reported him to CL, and the ad was removed in short order. Apparently the one thing that gets action from them is when you report that someone has put your personal information in their ad.

Fast forward to last week. I'd forgotten all about "monster receiver guy" (MRG) and was innocently trolling CL for interesting items. I found a listing on Indianapolis CL, for a receiver and speakers. The single photo, the lack of detail in description, and the location, should have tipped me off, but quite honestly I'd forgotten all about MRG. The receiver in the ad was mildly interesting to me, but the price was for a package deal. So, I sent a brief, polite, simple inquiry as to whether the receiver was available separately. Something like, "Will you separate? If so, how much for the receiver?". Pretty harmless question, right?

I got a response the next day that said, "Send me your number and make an offer." Still not realizing it was MRG, I responded that I don't make offers without first seeing the item. Then the explosion of emails came! Four or five in the first hour. (Thank goodness, I hadn't provided my phone number this time!) He sent all his usual rants: how he was so shrewd to determine I was a flipper, and how I was full of BS, how he knew my name and location, etc, etc. (Still not quite sure how a query about separating the items qualifies me as a "BS slinger"....)

Of course, I realized by now that it was the infamous "monster receiver guy" and I'd set him off again. Despite the temptation to respond, I was smart enough not to do so, but I have now received a dozen abusive responses over a period of several days since my original query. Not sure when they'll stop. Perhaps when someone else sends a fresh inquiry and diverts his attention from me? Clearly this moron has no life, in addition to having some serious mental problems.
all you have to do is flag his email and you will never ever ever hear from him again
UNTIL the next time you answer to another one of his ads
just look at the bottom of the text and you'll see it

stop giving the guy your info you almost gotta want to start something stupid the way craigslist is now
like giving away the farm
it's all totally encrypted now you can't even see an IP anymore so if the nut cases get hold of your stuff it's because you've helped them somehow
and always have an email account that you use exclusively for your craigslist account and NOTHING else
but now you guys have got me all intrigued with the Monster Receiver Guy! I wanna interact with him! ; - )
for real!
somebody send me a link to one of his current ads

Last edited:
Anyone (or company) that has 8 pages on 800notes is doing something wrong...
A bunch of those are "Chuck", responding to call everyone else lying scamming flippers, or even one pretending to be a satisfied buyer of Chuck's (before slipping back into typical Chuck rant). Makes for an amusing read.

Last edited:
stop giving the guy your info you almost gotta want to start something stupid the way craigslist is now
like giving away the farm
it's all totally encrypted now you can't even see an IP anymore so if the nut cases get hold of your stuff it's because you've helped them somehow
and always have an email account that you use exclusively for your craigslist account and NOTHING else
but now you guys have got me all intrigued with the Monster Receiver Guy! I wanna interact with him! ; - )
for real!
somebody send me a link to one of his current ads

I'm sure that I don't see all of his ads but it seems to me that he has calmed down lately. He has been or is moving his location and has been wanting to move a lot of his equipment so he wouldn't have to take it all with him. That may be the reason that he is acting more docile. I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before he's back to his old self.

A bunch of those are "Chuck", responding to call everyone else lying scamming flippers, or even one pretending to be a satisfied buyer of Chuck's (before slipping back into typical Chuck rant). Makes for an amusing read.

Interesting.
I only glanced at the first and last pages (this time). Not sure how much of it I had read when I first found it back when.

And there are two screen shots of recent ads on page 2 of this thread that include the city they were posted in.

He currently lives in Indy, but posts in other cities. I first got twisted up in his web when I replied to one of his ads in Detroit (yes nearly 300 miles from his home), I've seen dozens of his ads from West Michigan to western Ohio and of course Indianapolis area.

They usually have a stack or list of equipment with little or no information, often a price for just one of them, sometimes includes a rant about who shouldn't respond to his ads. The photos usually don't change because he never sells what's in the ads, ... so he uses the same picture year after year. I don't think he owns any furniture.

Unless you just like engaging people in verbal jousting it is really not worth getting him riled up, one problem with waking him up is he sometimes makes the assumption that it is one of the people who have had previous run-ins with him and starts posting their names and numbers again. Nobody wins.

I'm sure that I don't see all of his ads but it seems to me that he has calmed down lately. He has been or is moving his location and has been wanting to move a lot of his equipment so he wouldn't have to take it all with him. That may be the reason that he is acting more docile. I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before he's back to his old self.
how do you know this? that he is moving

how do you know this? that he is moving

He stated in some of his ads that he was moving and had to move some gear by a certain date. I don't know if he actually is moving or not but he was motivated enough to sell mattsd that big ole Sui for a lot less than it was worth.

My advice to others is to let sleeping dogs lie.

I doubt very seriously that this his listing. It's probably somebody out there making fun of him. I haven't ever saw him include his phone number in a listing and always insists that you leave your name and number.

That's not upChuck's ad. You will occasionally see craigslist sparring between upchuck and his many fans, this is only one example.

My suggestion is to NEVER contact him unless you have a burner phone and email. He really has nothing better to do than to make others' lives miserable apparently, BTDT when I thought he was actually selling something, regretted it as he was relentless in his attacks completely devoid of logic.

On my way through Indy today, ...

I met Chuck once. I actually sold him a Kenwood KA-9100 & KT-7500 in the wood cabinets in May, 2016. I had them listed on CL. We met over in Brookville, Indiana because I keep my boat there, and it was closer for him. He tested them, then paid and left. Ten minutes max. I did not have any problem with him, and he seemed to be a decent person at that time. (ymmv)
I see he is trying to sell that set now. He has them listed on FB Marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom