Monster TEAC Z-7000, now what?

I got the deck this evening. My eldest daughter lives in Toronto, and she kindly picked it up for me. I’ve got it playing one of my well recorded tapes and it sounds magnificent! It’s hooked up to a Sansui AU-9900 with a pair of Wharfedale 507.2 Speakers.

I’ll post pictures tomorrow. I have lots of playing to do, but no real time tonight.

Yeah, I couldn’t be happier! I am reading the owners guide again right now. Lots of things to learn about this deck, but the search fountain is excellent. Quick, smooth, and accurate.

This was a gamble on my part. It would have been an expensive experiment if I had been unable to find someone to do the full monty on it. I was sitting on it since last spring, only finding a place in Toronto around Christmas time. The guy knows his stuff though. He has a beautiful Tascam tape drive sitting in his personal system.

@BilboBaggins I missed this first time around.

While I loathe cassettes due to a childhood of being perpetually disappointed when the capstans and pinch rollers ate my favorite copies, I'd have to give it another thought with something so completely and ridiculously overbuilt as this.

@BilboBaggins I missed this first time around.

While I loathe cassettes due to a childhood of being perpetually disappointed when the capstans and pinch rollers ate my favorite copies, I'd have to give it another thought with something so completely and ridiculously overbuilt as this.

It is such a pleasure to use onwardjames! I had the same feelings about cassette decks until the mid 90s. I had just bought the TOTL Sony HF-900 Betamax machine (I have two working units right now) used for a very sweet price, and I decided I wanted a good deck. I ended up with a Technics dual player with auto reverse. I tried it out against some very good decks at that time, and I liked it better. I ended up practically giving it away along with most of my other stereo gear in 2007 when I moved here and needed to make space. No garage here.

This machine is a totally different beast. Quiet, precise, and sounds as good as my vinyl and CDs. I’m really quite impressed! The work done on it was top notch, and it has been performing well these last couple of years. I love the remote too!

I will have more pictures probably this weekend. I am going to change things around a little. Where I have it right now, you can’t really appreciate the beauty or the size! In fact, it is starting to block out the sound from my right hand Cornwall. It’s amazing how items can start piling up. I’m definitely not a minimalist!

Last edited by a moderator:
So is there anyone on the west coast that can go through mine? Sam is training/has trained another tech to work with him, but I wouldn't trust anyone but Sam. I don't think his workload has lightened much.

So is there anyone on the west coast that can go through mine? Sam is training/has trained another tech to work with him, but I wouldn't trust anyone but Sam. I don't think his workload has lightened much.

The guy is PacificStereo. I don’t know anything about him, but I read in a Teac z7000 thread that he works on these. No affiliation.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh yeah, I sent him a button for a KX-1200 awhile back. I'll hit him up. Thanks Byron.

I packed up the z7000 on Wednesday and Thursday evening. While I was packing the unit, I put on a tape I made with the z7000 on my Denon M24HX. It sounded gorgeous! It was a metal tape with mixed music I specifically selected to help me judge the sound quality, using very clean records and CDs. The idea was to hear if I could tell the differences. The tape was so gorgeous sounding. I could only tell when a song recorded from vinyl had a tick. I was feeling a little wistful, but I think I made the right decision. I wasn’t using it to the extent it deserved, and I believe the buyer will be very happy with it.

BilboBaggins signing out for the last time on the amazing TEAC Z7000.

Back
Top Bottom