'Monteverdi by Lloyds' hi-fi?

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by screenersam, Aug 18, 2008.

1. screenersam

screenersam aka Blind Sugar McGee

just salvaged an old hi fi; turntable/8-track-am/fm cabinet; plate says 'Monteverdi by Lloyds'. ever hear of these guys?

2. titanstats

titanstats Go Habs Go!

Nope, not hi-fi. Pretty much a brand to avoid.

3. superdog

superdog AK Member

Not exactly hi-fi but that was the brand of my first stereo.I ordered it from Spiegals of Chicago.Anybody remember them?I was about 16 in 1977.

4. KlipschFan61

KlipschFan61 Smooth Jazzer

Me too. Had a Lloyds AM/FM Multiplex Receiver and BSR Turntable combo back in 1975'ish. Worked pretty good for me but by no means hi-fidelic..

Attached Files:

5. ManFromPorlock

ManFromPorlock Super Member

Bought one of their receivers a few years ago to dissect out of curiousity. Pretty heavy, with a good-sized transformer for its power (25 wpc, IIRC). I never got it running - didn't think it'd be worth the effort - but it wasn't all that badly made.

6. zenith2134

zenith2134 Addicted Member

Had a Lloyd's clock radio growing up. Had a 200mW speaker and awful am/fm reception.

7. Logos

Logos Roving Vinyl Grabber

As I recall, Lloyds was not junk, but not top class either.

Made to sell fairly cheap.

8. dspear99ca

dspear99ca Super Member

My recollection is that Lloyds was junk, pure unadulterated trash. Plastic everyplace they could get away with it, those awful sliders for volume and tone controls, just crap. It was sold in K-Mart and other bargain stores.

9. Tapehead47

Tapehead47 Addicted Member

I saw a Lloyd's combo-unit (TT, radio, 8-track, cassette) for sale at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago. I was tempted to buy it just for giggles. Something about those units that triggers a nostalgic desire.

Then my better sense took over and I declined. It might still be there. But there's no media I have that I would play on it, so it would be for looks (?).

10. superdog

superdog AK Member

Mine was the Monteverdi one and This is the first mention of such since I had mine.

11. screenersam

screenersam aka Blind Sugar McGee

growing up, 'hi-fi' was the generic term for large cabinet systems.
    I'd never heard of Lloyd before today.
    thanx for the info!!! will probably salvage the speakers and pitch the rest.

Attached Files:

12. NoTransistors

NoTransistors AK Subscriber Subscriber

If Lloyd's was such absolute crap, then why is a scientific calculator of theirs, which I purchased for college, still working like new? It is sitting on this desk, and still used now and then. College physics course was in 1976 or '77.

Of course, the calculator does not have to play records.

Seth
    Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop

13. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz Subscriber

Lloyds was a brand name associated with the worse stuff from the 70s. I suspect it was a recognized name back in the 50s and was used on poorly engineered gear from overseas.

The Lloyds stuff I had brought to me to repair back then was produced from multiple vendors, from what I saw, and all were sold through what was once known as the 5-and-Dime stores.

In other words, mass produced dreck catering to those who just needed something that looked cool but really wasn't.

There's no telling how much of this stuff now lies in landfills and the rest is still trading hands in flea markets - if it still works.

Cheers,

David

14. Elfasto

Elfasto Super Member

Never had any good memories regarding Lloyds.